References within footnotes

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has any advice/guidance on how to correctly insert a reference into a footnote using Zotero, e.g:

‘Chanel launched Chanel No.5 by wearing it to a dinner party in Cannes. As she had predicted, people asked her what it was. Next, she gave bottles to her favourite clients as Christmas gifts. They came to her boutique asking for more – and so did their friends.’ Mark Tungate, Branded Beauty: How Marketing Changed the Way We Look (London: Kogan Page, 2011) p.119.

In this instance, I generated the Zotero reference in a separate word document, which I then cut and pasted into a footnote generated within a footnote generated within the main document. While clunky, this is the only way I can think of to insert references in longer single footnotes which cite multiple sources.

Is there a more elegant way of doing this?

Cheers

Cris
  • Why can't you insert the reference directly into the footnote (i.e. position cursor inside the footnote and use Zotero's insert citation button)? Seems to work ok for me (Word 2010 on Windows 7).
  • Hi

Just tried it and it works fine...can't think of why I didn't think of doing this before! I'm still wondering, however, whether you're supposed to insert a reference within a footnote in parentheses, or without? e.g.

Marcel Proust blah blah blah (Marcel Proust, Le Temps Retrouvé (Paris: Nouvelle Revue Française, 1927), p. 1.).
  • generally without for Chicago Manual and similar styles.