Standalone + firefox + vpn

Hello,

Firstly, I must thank you ppl involved in developing Zotero. This tool has become a great deal for managing literature.

I'm facing an issue for a while already, I don't get the "translator icon" on ff when using standalone (ZSA) + firefox (ZFF as connector) + vpn.

However,
- zsa + zff (no vpn) : ok
- zff + vpn : ok

I tend to like ZSA because of workflow when writing (also the way I spread things out in several desktops), but I've never really managed to get the ZSA+ZFF+VPN working together i.e. adding literature with ZFF while writing and quoting through ZSA.

I tried to go to ZFF preferences and select proxy options however my selections never become permanent when they are all running (contrary to when I only open ZFF). ZSA has no proxy options.

Debug ID: D2041195161

I'm sure this happens because of the vpn connection, just can't figure out how to fix it. My workaround is to close ZSA for adding literature through ZFF, been doing this since 2011.

I could also provide you the real-time debug if necessary.

Best Regards,
Fernando
  • Is this a regular VPN (i.e. through the CISCO VPN client or the connection settings of your operating system), or do the URLs look differently when you go through VPN?
  • edited February 24, 2015
    Wow,

that was a fast reply. It was set up in the linux network manager. I also have the openconnect packages, no cisco. URLs do not look different when through VPN.
  • What's the URL you're trying to save from for the above Debug? And what exactly happens--you're getting an error message or nothing at all?
  • http://scholar.google.de/scholar?hl=de&q=wto&btnG=&lr=

This address above was the one from the debug.

There's no error msg at all. "Translator icon" on the right-hand side is simply not there. If I close ZSA it comes back for all websites, youtube, wikipedia, google scholar...

I usually can see the icon directly at duckduckgo startpage.
  • I had to close ZSA in order to submit this debug report since it wouldnt upload while ZSA+ZFF+VPN run together.
  • odd. Could you try here? http://www.worldcat.org/title/wealth-of-nations-books-i-iii/oclc/8424650&referer=brief_results

I'd like to see how specific this is to google scholar.

Then we will need real time debug from Firefox for loading that page (in connector mode with VPN).
    send to support@z..ero.org
  • Same behaviour. Icon isn't there, if I close ZSA and reload page it appears. I'm going to send you the real time debug. Thx anyways.
  • oh, and make sure you're doing all this on up-to date software:
    both versions of Zotero should be 4.0.26.1, Firefox should be 35.0.1 (or the 31 ESR if really need be). I know you said this has been an issue for years, but let's be safe.
  • edited February 24, 2015
    I may have overstated the "for a while" "2011" thing cause I used a mix before with mendeley so that doesnt hold completely true.

Now that you've mentioned, ZFF and FF are up-to-date. I got ZSA from the "ppa:smathot/cogscinl" where I thought I would also get the updates. I checked ZSA the version and it's there "4.0.26". Clicking on "check for updates" it's stating I should update my version, guess I'll have to manually do this to get the 4.0.26.1 version and re-test. I've already sent a real time debug email, sorry about that.
  • that's fine, the 4.0.26.1 update only affected snapshot content. (the non-official conscinl ppa requires manual updates by its maintainer, so it's sometimes a bit behind).

Dan - do you see anything helpful in there?
  • zotero(3)(+0000000): HTTP POST {} to http://127.0.0.1:23119/connector/getTranslators

zotero(3)(+0000010): Triggering "zotero-reloaded" event

zotero(3)(+0000000): Triggering "zotero-loaded" event

zotero(3)(+0001018): Connector: Method getTranslators failed with status 503
    I don't think Standalone returns 503 on its own, so something (VPN, proxy, security software) is improperly intercepting a 127.0.0.1 request.
  • (We should actually make the connectors check for expected status codes for 127.0.0.1 and give a clearer error.)
  • Seems like a VPN that redirects 127.0.0.1 (i.e. local port) requests is very likely the problem here.

Don't know enough about VPN to know where exactly to check for that, but shouldn't be hard to figure out with some googling given what appears to be your (ferhralmeida's) level of computer competency.
  • Created a ticket to display a more helpful warning.
  • I suck big time, Heheh. I'll try to check vpn/proxy settings. Thx again.