Difference between pagination by issue and by year

2»
  • though, technically the abbreviation can be the same as the journal title, no? Wouldn't that work?
    Though it still seems rather hack-y. I'd still prefer a more general solution, preferably one that's at least implementable beyond Zotero.
  • I think the plugin is only replacing journal titles with their abbreviated forms (or whatever one enters there) for styles that explicitely have form="short" for the containter-title variable.
  • I'd still prefer a more general solution, preferably one that's at least implementable beyond Zotero.
    The way that journal abbreviations work is that CSL specifies that an abbreviation should be stored in . Different reference managers handle generating this value in their own ways. Zotero has two methods: a journalAbbreviation field and the single built-in list of Medline abbreviations. The Abbreviations Plugin provides a more flexible solution by creating a middle layer between the reference manager and the processor.

I think that implementing the pagination parsing probably needs to follow a similar path. There should be a variable in CSL for journal pagination that can be tested in a conditional, and it is up to each reference manager to implement this. A manual toggle displayed next to the pages field or (probably better) in the right-click menu of the pages field would be the most straightforward implementation. Checking the toggle could be added to the translators for the affected journals.

A middle-layer plugin doing this automatically would obviously be more elegant. As Frank points out, there is a need for general functionality to do this kind of pre-processing. APA, for example, has other citation rules that aren't well-implemented by Zotero. For example, institutional authors should properly be cited by their full name in the first citation, then by an abbreviation or acronym in afterward. Most computer science journals have a standard list of conference acronyms that should used. Perhaps expanding the functionality of the Abbreviation Plugin to do more general pre-processing tasks might be the best solution (and one that could eventually be incorporated into Zotero proper). The database of ISSNs and volume ranges that use by-issue pagination could be curated online and updated, so that similar functionality could be readily built by other reference managers and processors.
  • I think that implementing the pagination parsing probably needs to follow a similar path. There should be a variable in CSL for journal pagination that can be tested in a conditional, and it is up to each reference manager to implement this.
    yes, I think that's reasonable.