Citation Style help needed - Anthropology (AAA)

1235»
  • But mayilo, you might want to check the recent work by Lera Boroditsky (WSJ.com article), the Economist debate about linguistic relativity between Boroditsky and Liberman (with many other scientists weighing in), or the recent book by Guy Deutscher (Through the Language Glass).
  • thenk's mark; we say in french MERCI BEAUCOUP!!!!!!!!
  • Just wondering if there has been any update on this -- have the necessary changes been made to the citaton processor?
  • For the sake of clarification, does the citation processor work with the other CSL-based packages (e.g., Mendeley and Papers)? I.e., will fixing this for Zotero also mean that those programs can export in AAA format? Or does each package have its own CSL processor (in which case AAA will require 3+ communities to revise, plus possibly changes to the structure of CSL itself)?
  • There are three issues:
    1. This will require a CSL change.
    I can't give you a time frame. I wouldn't expect this to happen super quickly.
    This is a rather random and rather complex requirement that, afaict, affects one single discipline, so it's not something that I would say is treated with a sense of urgency in the CSL team, though it's certainly on the menu and I'd say pretty likely for CSL 1.1.

2. Once that's done, Zotero and Mendeley use the same CSL processor. Paper2 has its own implementation, but they're communicating closely with the CSL core team, so I'd expect them to have their processor role out with changes at the same time or shortly after CSL 1.1

3. The final issue is that from what Frank says this isn't a processor issue alone, because it also involves an extra layer of communication with the word processor - aka the word processor plugin(s). If that's indeed the case, that would be separate for all CSL implementation.
  • So I see this thread is here, and that you all have been having issues implementing a style change for the AAA style since 2008 or so.

The above is a bit technical. Can someone summarize how I can use AAA within Zotero, in order to get the proper indents when I copy the bibliography to the clipboard and drag it over into word? I also tried this with RTF, HTML, and the in word plug-in (which I don't usually use). None of them captured the indent needed, which should look like the ones seen on page 7 of the AAA style guide. http://www.aaanet.org/publications/style_guide.pdf

Otherwise, if this style change is not in the works, can anyone give me a work-around? I really don't know how to use the tab settings in word properly, so it's very hard for me to figure out how to change it manually en-masse. Thanks in advance. I really hope this style can gain its full functionality in Zotero.
  • I'm not currently aware of any workaround that produces the exact AAA indenting that doesn't require manually adjusting the margins for each author. How that's best done probably depends on the word processor.
  • edited December 13, 2012
    Any plan to fix this in Zotero? It is a popular style that should format correctly. Thanks very much.

edit: whoops. My other account. same as maevepotter above.
  • see my post from July 18th above. Generally yes, short term no. The AAA style is rather unreasonable in its requirements on formatting. Having effectively three different indents in a single bibliography (year, start of first line after year, start of subsequent lines) makes this very onerous to automate, as RTF only permits the specification of one indent.
  • But basically from your July 18th comment above, you will be automating it in the future?

I hope the team does try, as there are many anthropologists out there who use this style. It would be much appreciated. Thank you very much.
  • it's certainly still planned, but it's not something that will happen in the next couple of months and may very well take more than a year.
  • Sorry for the necro. I have a question about implementing the AAA stle using left-margin right-inline pairs. Something like this seems to have been mentioned in this thread, but perhaps I'm missing just why it doesn't work.

The problem I'm having is I can't get hanging indentation to work at all using left-margin right-inline pairs as explained in the CSL 1.0 specification.

I'm trying to modify the AAA citation style found here. This style doesn't seem to render correctly in my version of Word (2011) or LibreOffice (4.0.1) (both for Mac OS, but I have tried with Word 2007 for Windows with the same results). Instead of something like
    Accadia, T, F Acernese, M Alshourbagy, et al.
    2012 Virgo: a Laser Interferometer to Detect Gravitational Waves.
    Journal of Instrumentation 7(03): P03012–P03012.
    I get something like
    Accadia, T, F Acernese, M Alshourbagy, et al.
    2012 Virgo: a Laser Interferometer to Detect Gravitational Waves.
    Journal of Instrumentation 7(03): P03012–P03012.
    If the left-margin right-inline formatting would work, I could live with hard-coding spaces by changing line 364 of the CSL file to

<text macro="date-bibliography" prefix="&amp;#160;&amp;#160;&amp;#160;&amp;#160;"/>

and line 371 to

<text macro="title" prefix="&amp;#160;&amp;#160;"/>

This all works just fine in the CSL Code Editor and with the hard-coded spaces looks pretty close to what I want. Any ideas?