Duplicated items

I have tried several ways of resolving the conflicts stemming from multiple versions (the original issue that generated my previous thread, Report ID: 1269466356). I am still having problems, however.
I have tried the following:
1. On my computer, I went through all duplicates in my Duplicate Items folder and selected the item I wished to merge with.
2. Then I tried to sync, but I received the message “Processing updated data from sync server”; then I received a conflict resolution page which showed 1 of over 1400 conflicts that needed to be resolved. I went through them all and selected the version I wished to keep in each case.
3. When I synced after that I received the same message and this time there were over 2400 conflicts that need to be resolved.
4. On my computer, I went through all the duplicates again, but this time I just kept one version and deleted any others (realizing that this risked losing some data and/or attachments).
5. On the server, I deleted everything except 2 items.
6. I attempted to sync again and had the same problem described in Step 3, above, but this time there are 3770 conflicts to resolve.
7. The number of items in My Library on the server did not increase.
8. The number of items in My Library on my computer did not increase.
Any information about what is generating these duplicates, where they are coming from, and how I can get rid of them would be greatly appreciated.
(I posted this comment three days ago under General and have not received a response.)
This discussion has been closed.