firefox cannot load pages anymore

Suddenly a weird problem occurs: firefox stops working and does not load pages anymore. In the status bar, the name of the pages flashes like crazy. When deleting the profile it works again, but when I reinstall zotero, the same behaviour occurs again. Thus it seems to be something with zotero.
When I disable zotero, firefox works fine, when I enable it again, firefox stops working.
OSX 10.5, firefox 3.0.3, zotero sync preview 3.2
(ah, could solve it, was the proxy problem described in other posts. Deleting Proxies helped. But why does the problem suddenly occur? And why are these proxies there?)
  • Do you remember the sites on which you've received the proxy-adding message? Can you reproduce the problem?
  • I can't reproducee the problem, because I deleted the proxy entries. I would have to know which proxiy entries are in zotero. At my office, my firefox does not contain any proxy entries at all. The problem only occurred at my laptop. What I do not understand is how these proxies suddenly ended up in my zotero preferences, because I did not add them, and this whole behaviour occurred just so, not directly after I upgraded do a new version.
  • Zotero only adds proxy entries if you approve them in the warning dialog that Zotero pops up when it detects a proxy.

By reproduce, I mean get Zotero to prompt you again to insert the invalid proxies. If there are any particular library sites that you've used recently, you might want to try those.
  • Hm. Yesterday when the problem occurred I did a big session of updating the library using probably more than 20 different library pages etc. I tried now the most important of those and could not reproduce the problem. Also, I cannot remember that a warning dialog popped up. Is it possible that these warning dialogues are hidden or turned off?
  • edited November 14, 2008
    Dan: Now the problem reoccurred. There was NO warning dialog. In the proxy preferences, there was suddenly the following entry:
    Multi-site: http://%h.ezproxy.uzh.ch/%p

the error occurred after I visited worldcat and occurred when attempting to go to JSTOR. I did not visit any other page in this session thus far.
    After deleting the proxy entry everything works fine again.
  • edited November 14, 2008
    Could you tell us whether the two checkboxes in the Proxies tab are checked or unchecked, and also what other entries appear in the list, if any?

Also, can you reliably reproduce the problem by going to WorldCat or JSTOR via your proxy? If so, please double-click on the proxy entry and let us know what settings appear in the configuration window.
  • We'd still be interested in the answers to the above questions, but this should be fixed in 1.5 Sync Preview 3.3, now available. Please let us know if not.
  • edited November 17, 2008
    Now I am at the computer at home, where the problem occurred the first time. Here, I cannot reproduce the problem (after having imported some 20 citations, both from JSTOR and worldcat). Both boxes (automatically recognize...//transparently ...) are checked, and if I remember correctly, this was also the case in the office, where the probem occurred for the second time. In the office, there was only this one entry in the list of proxies. Here at home, I think I deleted two entries. I hope this helps and I will report if the problem reoccurs.