Edit style for Ecology Letters

Dear all,

I would need some help for formatting the style for Ecology Letters.

There are 2 problems:
- in the text, the available style gives "Someone et al. 2000a, 2000b" instead of "Someone et al. 2000a, b" as required
- in the reference list, for a book chapter, the book title is abbreviated, which should not be.

I know I can edit the style using TextEdit for example (I'm on MacOSX) but I don't know where to find the fields to edit and what to change them to.

Thank you in advance,
Ivan
  • I think I have found the line for my first problem:
    <citation et-al-min="3" et-al-use-first="1" disambiguate-add-year-suffix="true" collapse="year">

But I don't know how to change it so that it does what I need.

For the second problem, I believe it is in this part of code:
    <if type="chapter paper-conference" match="any">
    <text term="in" text-case="capitalize-first" suffix=": "/>
    <text variable="container-title" font-style="italic" form="short"/>

Again, I don't know how to change it... form="long" ??
  • 1. Try to change the collapse attribute, i.e.
    <citation et-al-min="3" et-al-use-first="1"
    disambiguate-add-year-suffix="true" collapse="year-suffix">

2. Just delete the form attribute completely should do the trick.

Are these requirements explained in the documentation of the style? Would you like to contribute them to the official repository?
  • Thank you for your answer!

Either it does not work, or I missed something to import it to Zotero... I've followed the guide and added the extension .csl and dragged it to Firefox to install it. I thought it worked since I have the updated name for this style in the list.

From the author guidelines of Ecology Letters:
    "References made to works by the same author(s) and publication year should be included after the year of publication. For instance James et al. 1986a, b."
    And:
    "Chapters in books
    Last name, Initials. et al. (Year). Full title of chapter. In: (Full title of book), Edition (only include this if not the first edition) { [ed(s).] [Editors(s) last name, initials] }. Publisher, City (Include state and country for USA and UK), pp. (page range).

I would be interested in contributing, but I'm not much of an expert in xml (and for now, not sure about the changes).
  • Thank you for the information from the guidelines. Can you try to validate your file? You can also try alternative installation methods in zotero. Maybe also for testing and editing, type "chrome://zotero/content/tools/csledit.xul" into the url of your firefox.
  • Ahah! I've understood what the problem was (although I don't understand why). I restarted both Firefox and Word and then the changes were effective. I don't know whether restarting both was necessary, but restarting only Word did not work.

There is one last issue. In the text, the references should be separated by semi-colons (example from the guidelines: "Able et al. 1997; Able & Charles 1986; Lowe et al. 1986"). But when from the same author, it should be commas ("James et al. 1986a, b").
    Is there a way to change it?

Should I then upload it to some repository?
  • I was wondering, is there a list of values for arguments?
    What I mean is that, for example, I knew that I needed to change the "collapse" argument, but I had no idea which value I should give (in this case "year-suffix").
    So I was hoping there is some list of the arguments and their possible values. That would be of great help for next time.
  • It's all here:
    http://citationstyles.org/downloads/specification.html
    It's not a list per se, but it's exhaustive and searchable.
  • It is not a simple "upload" of your improvements, but we would appreciate a pull request, see https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md . Let us know, if you need more information.
  • I'll try to do it, but it will have to wait (too busy to look into it for now). As I might need to edit a few other styles, I'll also try to do it every time I edit a style.
  • But there is still one problem with the style:

Instead of "Someone et al. 2000a, b" it writes "Someone et al. 2000a; b" although it does write "Someone et al. 2000, 2001". How do I change it?
  • I finally took some time to submit a pull request with the changes. Everything went well; it just needs to be merged.

By the way, I managed to edit the last problem:
    <citation et-al-min="3" et-al-use-first="1" disambiguate-add-year-suffix="true" collapse="year-suffix" year-suffix-delimiter=", ">
  • Just for the record, the modifications have been merged. The new style for Ecology Letters is now available!