Zotero causes high heap-unclassified memory usage in Firefox

Loading Zotero causes a high heap-unclassifed to be reported in about:memory.

After opening firefox, heap-unclassified is low. After opening Zotero in firefox, it jumps up by ~500MB. My database has ~750 items.
  • I'm not seeing anything like that with a much larger library.

1) Can you provide a Report ID?

2) Does this happen with auto-sync disabled?
  • Report ID is 967424520

I will try with auto-sync disabled
  • Also try with all other extensions disabled. Also, is this a Firefox build direct from Mozilla, or one from your distro? If the latter, please try with an official build.
  • Interesting, I don't see the increase with auto-sync disabled, but as soon as I hit sync heap-unclassifed jumps up by ~400MB.

I'm using FX from Ubuntu, I will try in a clean profile with a build from mozilla.

Also, thank you very much for taking the time to look at this issue!
  • Ok, I've tried this in Firefox 36.0 (64-bit build) downloaded from Mozilla in Ubuntu 14.10.

I made a new profile and installed Zotero from zotero.org
    I copied zotero.sqlite from my current profile and the storage directory into my new profile.

Before opening Zotero, heap-unclassified is 28MB
    After opening Zotero, heap-unclassified is 20MB
    After syncing, heap-unclassifed fluctuates between 100MB and 500MB

Report ID for this profile is 482924270
  • I was able to reproduce the issue with F36.0 running on Ubuntu 14.10. After a few hours of working in a shared library heap-unclassified can easily reach 1.5 GB.
  • I've tried running Zotero in a firefox build with DMD to track the memory usage. It appears that the heap-unclassified from Zotero isn't even tracked by this. Bugzilla bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1133686
  • I'll take a look at this later this week.