switching from standalone to

I use Zot Standalone + Zotfile, & wish to migrate to FF web version whilst retaining Standalaone functionality for when I am in field & unable to access web/internet.
Q1) Do I need to unistall Zot Standalone before downloading Zot exe for FF?
Q2) From memory when I first had a web account, I simply sync with my existing HDD folder/file structures to retain same Library and Collection structure?

Many thanks

R
  • I'm not sure what you mean by "Firefox web version": Zotero for Firefox is no more or less "web" than Zotero Standalone. All data is saved locally for both. You can run both at the same time, so no need to uninstall anything, though I'm not quite sure why you want to in your case.

There is a web version of Zotero with limited functionality. It's just the webpage, no need to install anything. It's also not tied to any specific browser. You can simply sync your Zotero Standalone and all your items will appear on zotero.org (accessible, by default, only to yourself, of course).
  • OK - my mistake - I assume I simply sync my Zot "Standalone" & that places all my files & associated structure in the cloud. I will try it tomorrow & see where I get

Thanks

R
  • AdamSmith

Hi - perhaps a new topic, but ...

1) When I open "Zot Standalone" Ihave 4550 items showing in Zotero My Library. On my HDD, there are 32807 files & 12401 folders in relevant Zotero folder location (on my HDD, labelled C:\Zot_Data). The Zot Storage subfolder has 32,290 Files in 12,393 (sub)Folders (from Windows Properties). Zotfile has stored 3698 pdfs in a separate folder of my HDD.
    2) OK, purchased storage, opened my "Zot Standalone" & hit the "sync" button
    3) BUT Zotero picks up conflict (how do I add *.png?):
    PROBLEMS: a) in 2209 items I have to go thro one by one (NOPE!!!)
    b) I chedcked File Integrity before uploading/syncing - all fine
    c) I sat with "Return key" depressed in "Next" box - eventually landed up with confict resolution box disappearing, but only 750 items, not the 4550 I expected.
    4) I REALLY don'y want to have to reload all my original pdfs, extract metadata, hand label/annotate a large number where metadata doesn't work etc etc.
    5) Effectively all I was doing was hoping to buy some (fairly pricy) robust back-up !!

:-(

Thnaks

R
  • You have 750 items where now? And what does it say when you hover over the round sync icon?

(On a side note, Zotero sync is not a very good back-up solution, since it doesn't come with any version control. It's great for exchanging data and files between different devices (and people), which is what it's designed for).
  • From memory now as I recopied my sqlite files - the 750 files were on the "MyLibrary" window of the "ZotStandalaone" (ZS) with login & pw enterred into Preference\Sync window. IF I hover around the Sync icon now (ie with restored 4550 items), I get "Last sync: 1 yr ago" & immediately to the left the red box with Exclammation mark (telling me of 2209 "conflicts".

I did wonder if these "conflicts" wer4e owing to previous use of web storage, so I have gone into my account & purged my disc space. ie
    Settings /Storage /Purge Storage /Purge files from personal library "You are about to remove all uploaded files associated with your personal library." Current usage shows 0Mb.

I then go into MyLibrary, & Collection Structure present as on my HDD, plus files (or at least Title, creator etc etc listed & visible in RH pane on web, with (apparently) 350 pages * 25 items per page listed.

In other words, purge does not appear to purge?! Also, how do I "select all" should I want to delete/purge everything ...

So immediate Qs:
    1) How do I upload *.png (or other format) FYI in these comment boxes;
    2) How do i "correctly" backup my data: I use OneDrive (Horrible) & SugarSync, and manually copy & paste my sqlite files to another folder - but the human is fallible so sooner or later will all come crashing down. What I want is automatic (& simultaneous) backup of my pdfs & Zot data, & yes, access from other PCs/locations when travelling. From your comments above, syncing via Zot is not the way to go ... ???
  • you can upload screenshots to any free image hosting site like imgur.com (or dropbox) and link to them from here.

So, do I understand correctly that you have everything you want in your local copy of Zotero now?
    (purge only purges files online, not data, correct).
  • Yes - excepting the red box with exclamation mark by the sync button - if I push sync, it goes pear shaped!
  • You can overwrite everything that's on the server with what you have locally using the "Sync to server" reset option under Sync--> Reset in the Zotero preferences (needless to say, make sure you're doing this the right direction: you want to sync _to_ server).
  • OK - I will try that now - when you have time can you advise re my Q2 above (backup & multiple access)
  • Thanks - clearing the server seems to have done the trick. When looking at my items over the web, is there any way of checking eg how many files are in a particular folder/collection?

I am interested too why you do not think Zotero a very good back-up option (I have just spent a 100 quid!) - & what the better alternatives might be

Cheers

R
  • edited February 16, 2015
    Good backup systems have a different purpose, which is to store the historical state of your data.

Zotero syncing is for multi-device usage, access to your library via the web, and collaboration. But if you delete an item or file (and empty the trash) and then sync all your devices, the thing you deleted is gone.
  • (And even when using a tool that does back up previous versions of things (e.g., Dropbox, or potentially Zotero someday), it's still a good idea to have your own automated, historical local backup on your own hard drive, just so that it's under your control.)
  • Dan

Hi - yes & no. I a happy with what you have written re Zot & this was my basic understanding (& does what a lot of syncing apps do - delete something from the cloud & it has gone for good (altho most have a 30 d period of grace)).

I am more concerned if my HDD gives up the ghost - I make regular backups which include my Zotero renamed pdfs, but if my HDD went, I assume I can download the structure (& files?) as was on my Zot server at that point in time (or is this where you tell me I don't understand Zot, & no, it does not hold/save the pdfs?)

Thanks

R
  • edited February 16, 2015
    I am more concerned if my HDD gives up the ghost - I make regular backups which include my Zotero renamed pdfs, but if my HDD went, I assume I can download the structure (& files?) as was on my Zot server at that point in time
    Yes, of course — you can certainly download the current versions of all your items and files. And that's a backup of sorts. We're just saying you shouldn't need it for that case. It's much more important to simply have an automated system that stores historical versions of your entire hard drive (or close to it) on separate media — a separate hard drive, a dedicated online backup service, etc. — so that restoring from a failed hard drive would just mean restoring a clone of the whole drive. And such a system would also be able to save you in the accidental-deletions case, or even in the case of a bug in any particular program you use that syncs data (like, say, Zotero). One advantage of Zotero is that it stores all your data locally by default, allowing the data to get backed up like all other important data on your hard drive.
  • OK - thanks for the clarification - it is as I thought & just what I wanted, so great stuff.

cheers

R
  • Oh well, best laid plans of mice & men ... I do not understand.

As written last night, I cleared server using "Sync to server" reset option & my PC1 then installed all my items (altho I still do not know how to check on we what is actually "out there" (see one of my Qs above).

I have been using my laptop today - I hit sync button & have landed up with multiple versions/locations of 697 items - AAAAGH.

Pre uploading yesterday, I copied all the files & folders in my laptop C:\Zot_Data to PC1 C:\Zot_Data & confirmed sqlite was working happily in both. I also copied over (& replaced) all my resultant pdfs. So as far as I am aware the files & structure etc should be identical ...

Any ideas appreciated

Thanks

R
  • Unfortunately I don't understand any of this:
    then installed all my items (altho I still do not know how to check on we what is actually "out there" (see one of my Qs above).

I have been using my laptop today - I hit sync button & have landed up with multiple versions/locations of 697 items - AAAAGH.
    I don't know what you mean by "installed all my items," not what you mean by checking what's "out there" (nor do I find the question you're referring to), not am I clear on what you mean by "multiple versions/locations of 697 items."
    So you'll have to tell us what you're actually doing or seeing in Zotero.
    The most likely way to get duplicates is through export/import, if you had used that at any point.
    You also seem to be doing a lot of things at once (e.g. moving around your data folder manually if I understand correctly), which makes it harder to figure out what's going on on your side.
  • OK - wrong wording - installed all my items = cleaned (cleared) the server & hit sync - my understanding is the 4550 items showing on my Zot Standalone (ZS) now also in the cloud/server (lets call it ZotCloud, ZC).

"Checking what is out there" = "Thanks - clearing the server seems to have done the trick. When looking at my items over the web, is there any way of checking eg how many files are in a particular folder/collection?" - In ZS, I can click on a collection, & it tells me there are N items. In ZC, I cannot replicate this action, & files/contents are listed as 25 rows times X pages, so I am really just looking for a way of confirming I have (roughly) the correct number of files sitting on server as I have on my HDD.

But back to main point:
    Yesterday, following your advice & initial problems with syncing, I used my PC1, cleared the server per your instructions, & then succesfully synced all 4550 items. Today, using PC2 (with identical file structure - more below), I open ZS installed on PC2 and hit sync. I get the Conflict Screen with 697 pages (ie on each page are 1 or more alternative ?locations of pecific files I need to choose).

Regarding the "identical file structure", all I am saying is I ensured I had "clean/corrected" copies of all my files in ZS on PC1, & copied these over to PC2, &, BEFORE opening browser and/or enabling sync, i ensured ZS was working properly on both PC1 & PC2 with correct number of items, folder structure etc.

I therefore assumed there would not be any conflict whether I opened my ZS files on PC1 or PC2, & both should sync seemlessly (Ha!!).

I have NOT had time to check that PC2 does not give me error msgs (ie the PC that synced fine in the end last night), but both both have same file structure on each PC HDD (ie C:\Zot_Data). I have not imported/exported yesterday/today.

Cheers
  • OK, if you have everything on the server and simply want to get it onto PC2 and get unwanted sync conflicts, you can, from PC2, now run Sync-->Reset-->Restore _from_ Server (i.e. in the opposite direction. Obviously that'll overwrite anything you had on PC2 that's not on the server.

The number of items in the currently selected collection (including my library) is at the bottom of the screen on zotero.org.
  • Simple when you know how ;-)

I am in the middle of some work - will try your suggestion later.

Thanks

WHOOPS - PS - I assume this means I should delete everything within my C:\Zot_Data folder BEFORE Sync-->Reset-->Restore _from_ Server, or does it do that automatically?
  • no need to, no. The Restore function will take care of that.
  • Thanks - will attempt later

Much appreciated

R
  • Though, actually, given the mess you found yourself in, you may actually be better off just closing Zotero/Firefox and deleting the data directory. When you restart Zotero, just sync normally and it will pull down your data.

Restore from Zotero Server doesn't delete the 'storage' directory, so if you had lots of files you'd just end up with orphaned files. (We'll probably provide a way to clean those up in the future, but for now they'd just take up extra space on your drive.)
  • Dan - I followed AdamSmith's suggestions & after a bit of chuntering on the computer & a bit of swearing on my part, it seems to have done the trick! I'll wait & see how I get on before claiming this thread is "solved" ;-)

Cheers

R
  • OK - I give up - I have read and re-read the documentation & can't see what I am doing wrong. 3 png's are attached - 1 shows that the top two two items have no attachment (don't know if you can see, but the little blue circle is open). This is "correct" sensu I dragged the original pdfs into Zot on PC1, & then ran "Metadata" & then "manange attachments". ZOTFILE sends my pdf correctly named to my PC1 pdf collection & I gety solid blue attachment indicator - but this png is from PC2.

So: after having everything "correct" on PC1, I tap the sync button too on ZS on PC1, and then open Zot Standalaone (ZS) in PC2. The items show up up, but no attachments for these top two items (see 1.png) even after repeated hitting sync, swearing closing & restarting ZS & finally rebooting. The only thing I haven't done is kicked the dog yet.

*.png's 2, 3 & 4 show what I assume are my relevant settings which are identical on PC1 & PC2.

ONE OTHER Q - going into My settings & checking my storage use, it is about 50% of my pdf folder size on my PC, & miniscule compared to the C:\Zot_Data folder. Presumably you guys are using file compression routines?

Thanks

R

https://www.dropbox.com/s/97rbw7cfj4pif3b/1.PNG?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/xihljsf8rhor0k2/2_files%26folders.PNG?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/rbmgy1fn0ympnqp/3_Sync_settings.PNG?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/sy3jv1sqr09qgbp/4_zotfile.PNG?dl=0
  • do you have the Zot_final folder on PC2? Zotero doesn't sync files you've moved with ZotFile. That's one of the principal reasons people use that ZotFile feature.

(you also should turn off the Zot_data folder as the Watch folder in ZotFile. It doesn't do what you think it does. You almost certainly don't want to be using it at all).

Snapshots are compressed online, yes. I'm not sure if PDFs are compressed or not, but it wouldn't matter either way--the format has built-in compression, you can't get them much smaller.
  • I have clearly made a pig's ear of the whole process - luckily (??) have back-ups! Should I start again as dan stillman suggested the other evening!!

1) Yes - I have Zot_final_pdf on both computers.
    2) From what I can/could work out on Forums/Documentation, ZotFile was what I needed for renaming pdfs so they vaguely mean something eg Author_date_(short)title.pdf. I am not interested in the apple add-on stuff
    3) Most of my data (sorry, items = parent files)come from pdfs downloaded over web from eg WoS, Reseach Gate, Google scolar etc. As you know, these pdf filenames generally meaningless, & so wish to retain "renaming function" for the associated child pdf, but does not need to be ZotFile if Zotero itself does this.
    4) So I guess I am checking - IF Zotero renames the child in sensible way (eg Manage Attachments - Rename Attachments)then benefit is that all activities retained within Zotero Standalone & syncing should automatically download "new pdf" originally captured in PC1 across to PC2. Or have I still got wrong end of stick???

THEREFORE CORRECT COURSE OF ACTION:
    1) Following Dan's advice:"Though, actually, given the mess you found yourself in, you may actually be better off just closing Zotero/Firefox and deleting the data directory. When you restart Zotero, just sync normally and it will pull down your data."
    2) Delete Zotfile
    3) ZotPrefs->Advanced-> Files & Folders -> DataDirectory Location will place renamed pdfs into my custom directory (ie now Zot_data)? ie as in 2_files&folders.png linked above.

I THINK I AM MISSING SOMETHING! Aaaaagh
  • edited February 18, 2015
    so you seem to be saying two contradictory things: do you want ZotFile to just rename your attachments (for which no, you don't need ZotFile. Zotero can do this via right-click on the PDF --> Rename from parent metadata. But you absolutely _can_ use ZotFile for it) or do you want ZotFile to move the PDFs your saving.

You seem to have set it up very deliberately for the latter. And you do mention it again under 3) above.

Don't delete anything, that likely won't help at all.
  • All I use ZotFile for is to rename & move (renamed) child pdf's to C:\Zot_file_pdf - but this is simply "filing neatness" - if Zotero does not allow a "generic" Zotero Standalone folder (C:\Zot_data) AND a specified folder for renamed child pdf's (C:\Zot_file_pdf) I can live with that (& manually copy them when I back-up to a separate dedicated folder). My understanding is that the pay-off is syncing of parent & child attachments between PCs?

IF this is the case, then I will just use Zot

Also does Zotero allow specification of renaming format (eg limiting number of characters, only 1st author, date of publication etc)
  • I have set up my Zotero Standalone (ZS) so that the Data Directory Location is C:\Zot_data. In addition, I was using ZotFile to send renamed pdfs to C:\Zot_final_pdf. Yesterday I found a working backup of both folders & copied them to PC1 and PC2. I opened ZS on each PC & had identical # of items, total file size and number as determined via Windows “properties”, and the “attachment column” in ZS was solid blue for all 4550 items. I ensured there was NO syncing to cloud/server.

I then closed my ZS on both PCs & purged my server personal library from both PCs (I know no need, just paranoid!). Refreshing confirmed zero items (or at any rate, 0 Mb used) on server. I then used Preferences -> Sync -> Reset -> Restore to Zotero Server, and no errors reported & all attachments showing on PC1 (as expected, since this was “default state” before syncing). My Server library showed correct number of items on server.

This morning, I took Dan’s earlier suggestion & deleted all 4 folders & the sqlite files from PC2 C:\Zot_data, leaving just the *.exe files. I also deleted all files in C:\Zot_final_pdf. I then opened ZS on PC2, which was empty bar the Zot intro file. I also disabled ZotFile, and checked all my ZS folders – the only one present within cog preferences was Advanced -> Files & Folders -> Data Directory Location which was pointing to C:\Zot_data (the default). I then used Preferences -> Sync -> Reset -> Restore FROM Zotero Server, and no errors reported & all 4550 items populated PC2 EXCEPTING NO attachments were showing (ie all items had open blue circle in central pane). [[NOTE BENE – I then repasted all the files into the previously emptied Zot_final_pdf & all the open blue circles became solid, showing linkage of child pdfs]].

So there seems to be one general problem that is impacting 1) my ability to use Zotero Server as a backup/support option for accessing all my bibiographic data, and 2) the incorporation of such data on one PC being fully available from another. I therefore conclude DATA syncing appears to work, but NOT FILE syncing.
    For what they are worth, these are supporting observations:

1) The upload / download times are way too quick for 3000+ pdfs to be transferred from/to PCs & Servers given my ISP speeds. This immediately made me suspicious that the data might have been transferred correctly (as appears to be the case) but not the attached files. However, I accept you may be doing something clever like fetching the URLs & downloading attachments at your end but I don’t think so ;-)

2) I am apparently using 2659.7 MB with 4551 items on the server. This is roughly consistent with the “new” C:\Zot_data properties which shows 3,294 Files, 1,068 Folders 2.63 GB (2,825,491,926 bytes). However, the “old” C:\Zot_data folder had 31000 files in 12400 folders and occupied > 10 Gb – I cannot swear to cause & effect here, as some (?all) of these differences may relate to duplicates, deleted files, multiple collections etc. etc.

3) When I look at individual items on the server, all the biblio data are correct, & the associated files (pdfs) are correctly listed. BUT when I dbl click on an item, at bottom of biblio info is: Notes and Attachments -> Rosenstock_2014_Science to support climate-smart agricultural development - MICCA pilot projects in East Africa.pdf (Attachment Details) AND THEN IN GREYED OUT BOX "Upload Attachment". If I click on that, I then get the Upload file & Drop your file here GUI.

CONCLUSION – the attachments have not uploaded.

I now have a dilemma. I strongly support Open Source & far prefer using Zotero to eg Mendeley. But 1) I cannot afford the time to sort out all the quibbles & quirks of Zot (altho your physical support is brilliant – but not your written / manual support – contrast yourselves to R (stats)), and 2) reason I upgraded the other day after a couple of years of using Zot was I needed a cloud “backup” of all my biblio data, ESPECIALLY all the pdf attachments.
    If we are unable to resolve this problem without further major time investment on my part, can I ask for a refund, & I will return to doing my own manual backups whilst investigating Mendeley (costs are pretty comparable). I REALLY appreciate the input & time you guys have given, but this doesn't seem to be working ...

Many thanks

Richard