Library size and data directory

Hello,

I manage a group library with around 15 members. In addition my account has two other group libraries (only accessible to me) and thousands of items in the My Library.

The Data Directory of my Standalone says I store over hundred thousands files - up to 15GB of data. Does that make sense? those numbers do not correlate with the amount of items in all libraries combined and seems a bit excessive. What is included in these files counted? For some time, after I added a new Group Library with few thousand files, Zotero used all the memory on my computer and all programs kept shutting down. Not sure if it would be a solution, I deleted a lot of PDFs and it stopped.

Does this mean that my Standalone stores too much data?
  • The number of files (I'm assuming that's your operating system's count?) would be much higher for webpage snapshot. Depending on the webpage, a Snapshot can have dozens, maybe even as much as 100 individual files.
  • Thank you!

Say if I don't need the snapshots and delete them one by one (I see I have few hundred in only one group library), will that make a difference?
  • What kind of difference are you expecting (sorry, i'm not sure to follow)?
    The files which are stored with a snapshot are generally not so big. But 1+1+1… make a difference…

You can delete the snapshots in Zotero (make sure you empty your zotero trash).
  • If I delete all the snapshots in my Standalone (which probably are over a thousand all together) will that make a difference in terms of space/memory? As I mentioned in my first discussion, the Standalone was causing problems with my computer and as I manage a group library where people will be entering new items all the time, minimum usage of space is important.
  • sure, that'll reduce space both locally and (if you're syncing attachments) online. As Gracile says, make sure to delete those snapshots from Zotero (rather than directly on your file system -- Zotero takes care of that) and empty your Zotero trash ever so often.