frequent hanging of Zotero for multiple actions

Hi all -

I searched the archives, and see that some folks seem to have similar issues, I tried some of the recommendations without success and I'm not sure where to go from here.

Briefly, I experience Zotero hanging extremely frequently, for about 10-15 seconds. It happens for example when I switch my active window to Zotero from another window, or when clicking on an item in the list, or trying to expand that item, or switching from My Library back and forth to another folder. I have 951 parent items, all have a link to pdf and a snapshot and possibly some notes, for total item count of 2913.

An example, just clicking on My Library after being in a folder, gives me the following Error ID.

D1446163351

Thanks very much for any insight.
  • and you've tried minimizing the tag selector on the left?
  • That debug output doesn't cover any activity. We'll need to see a debug output that includes whatever slow action you're describing.
  • Dear Dan,
    That's bizarre, the sequence of events was:

enabled debug output
    clicked from My Library to a collection (or vice versa, don't remember).
    Zotero did not respond for about 10-15 seconds.
    disabled debug output, submitted to zotero server.

Trying again here with some more activity, hope this is adequate:

Enabled debug output
    Clicked on My Library back and forth between a collection (this time it didn't hang)
    Clicked on left arrow on an item to expand (hung for about 5 seconds)
    For the same item, clicked on Notes tab (hung for a few seconds)
    Clicked on left arrow on the item above to collapse (hung again for 5-10 seconds).
    Disabled output, sent to server, ID is D1367535528.

Many thanks for your help!!
  • hi,
    just checking in to see if anyone found a potential culprit for the above issue.
    thanks very much for your time.
    h
  • Sorry — realized I never replied to this. Are you still having trouble?
  • hi Dan,
    Very kind of you to follow up with this issue. I am indeed still having trouble.
    h
  • Is your data directory on a local hard drive, or is it on a network share, in Dropbox, etc.? Have you emptied the Zotero trash?
  • It happens for example when I switch my active window to Zotero from another window
    Can you reproduce this part? That is, just switching back to Zotero, without actually clicking on anything, causes a freeze?
  • the data is currently on a network drive; a few months ago I did experiment with putting the data in a local drive but I had the exact same issues.

the finding is very reproducible, and as you said, just switching back to Zotero (clicking on the frame of the window) causes the freeze. In the first couple posts I mentioned it lasts about 10-15 seconds but the past few times I tried to use Zotero, I had to wait a good 30-45 seconds after clicking on the Zotero window to be able to further interact with the program.
  • I'm afraid I'd have to see a Debug ID with the directory on the local drive. This is pretty unusual, and it's exactly the sort of thing we'd expect to see on a network share.
  • Also, when it was on a local drive, was that totally local, or in some sort of server-mirrored home directory?
  • Oh I see. I'm cautious about moving things now because last time I tried to move to the local drive, I lost half a year's worth of references... I'm relatively computer literate and thought I followed directions but obviously did not and something went wrong somewhere.

the local drive does get mirrored to a server - maybe that's the issue then. I don't think I have an option of using an isolated local drive on that computer (work computer).

Thank you very much for your help, I'll look into some options on my end and see if the issue resolves.
    h