[MLZ] Sort order of (sub-)collections?

How does MLZ sort the (sub)collections? It doesn't seem to follow the Unicode sequence. For example, parentheses and brackets in collection names seem to be ignored by MLZ.
  • Prof. Bennett?
  • Sorry for the delay - development and administration.

I'll check the code later. I don't remember doing anything special for collection listings. Do sorts behave differently than in Zotero proper?
  • In the latest iteration of MLZ, the sort order of (sub)collections still doesn't follow Unicode.

I don't remember how Zotero proper behaved. It's been too long.
  • https://github.com/zotero/zotero/pull/515 in Zotero proper (probably unmodified by Frank)

Basically the sorting (collation) is locale dependent (i.e. follows Unicode conventions), except that we ignore punctuation and case. The one exception is leading ASCII punctuation. In that case, we take the punctuation into account, unless the leading punctuation is _solely_ composed of opening braces/brackets/parentheses or single/double quotes.

In all our discussion it seemed natural to ignore leading quotes/parentheses.

Can you give us examples of collection names that sort in unexpected manner?
  • If Zotero's rule is to "recognize leading ASCII punctuations that are not opening braces/brackets/parentheses or quotes", then Zotero (or MLZ) is not behaving in an unexpected manner.

It is more natural to ignore punctuations in entry names, but I'm surprised that people decided it was more natural to ignore leading quotes or parentheses in sorting (sub)collection names as well.

It's been my old trick to add bracket/parenthesis in folder/file names to artificially change their sort order. I thought the same trick would be handy in Zotero (sub)collection names.
  • I think usually people use underscores to force sort order. At least those are the requests we have had on the forums before.
  • But that sorting algorithm is being applied throughout Zotero (with some exceptions), not just for collections, to keep everything consistent.
  • https://github.com/zotero/zotero/pull/515 in Zotero proper (probably unmodified by Frank)
    Yeah, I haven't touched @aurimas' work there. MLZ will continue to shadow Zotero on this score.