lost refs after saving as .doc

Hello,

I'm working on a text with a Word user, while I prefer OpenOffice. So I just open the text as .doc in OpenOffice. But when I insert references with Zotero, and then save as .doc, they get lost, leaving only the reference text itself and the remnant of a grey field. I can't create a bibliography anymore. Is there anyway around this problem, or even a way to get my references back?

derxen
  • edited November 3, 2008
    Is there anyway around this problem, or even a way to get my references back?
    No, unfortunately. As indicated in the document preferences dialog, only Bookmarks mode allows documents to be transferred between OpenOffice and Word, and Bookmarks mode is broken in the currently available OpenOffice plugin. We can probably add a warning in OpenOffice if a document using ReferenceMarks is saved as a .doc, but I suspect we can't detect when a document that used fields in Word is opened in OpenOffice, since I believe the fields are simply lost on import. [Edit: We can detect opened .doc files in OpenOffice based on the doc prefs, so we should be able to add a warning there too.]

A completely new version of the OpenOffice plugin with a functional Bookmarks mode will be available very soon, though it will require the Zotero 1.5 Sync Preview or later. The Windows and Mac Word plugins with functional Bookmarks modes (1.0b4 and 2.0a1, respectively) also require Zotero 1.5.
  • Thanks Dan. It's no big deal, I'll just assemble the bibliography manually.