openoffice.org plugin: "Action not supported. Invalid Procedure Call."

After giving the oo.o plugin several months of rest because I could never get it to work properly, I decided to try again with the latest version of Ubuntu (Intrepid) and OO.o and a recent svn version of Zotero (October 6).

The plugin worked fine for several days, then I switched to the "Web Layout" view and then back again, and from then on, whenever I push any of the Zotero plugin buttons, I get the message "Action not supported. Invalid Procedure Call.", and an OpenOffice.org Basic window pops up highlighting the line of code where the error occurred.

Here is the Basic code that is highlighted:

Function fnPrefix(ByVal sName As String) As String
Dim nLoc As Integer ###This line is highlighted

nLoc = InStr(sName, "ZOTERO_")
fnPrefix = Mid(sName, nLoc, 11)
End Function

I do not get this message in a fresh document with fresh references--just the one I switched to "Web Layout" view or any document I copy and paste that document into. (I tried copying the content to a new document, but apparently the references remain messed up even when copied.)

Thanks,

Joe
  • I have no trouble inserting citations after switching to and from Web Layout mode, but, if you'd like to send your document to support@zot....org, we can take a look.

Note, though, that the VBA OOo plugin is no longer under development. Development going forward will be on the new Python-based version, an alpha version of which will be released very soon (though it will only work with Zotero 1.5).
  • I have been using zotero without a hitch for a few weeks. Today I received the same headline as the above note and was taken to a my macros & dialoge box where, just as in the above:
    was highlighted.

I am using XP, oo3, and zotero 3oxt.

Like I said, no problems for a few weeks. And, this paper already had numerous citations in it. This problem just came up at the end. I can still start a new document and insert citations. However, if I cut and past this document to a new page, the citation problem persists.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jim
  • I am, suddenly, getting the same Invalid Procedure Call error, with this text highlighted:

I'm using OpenOffice 3 and Zotero 1.0.7, but continuing to write the paper is now impossible unless (presumably) I delete and redo all the references. I really want/need this extension to work.

Should I bail on the unreliable extension and manually cut and paste references? Or wait? When is the new python one coming - days, weeks, or months?

Bryan
  • However, if I cut and past this document to a new page, the citation problem persists.
    Have you attempted to isolate individual problematic citations, as described in Step 3 of the Debugging Broken Documents section?
    Should I bail on the unreliable extension and manually cut and paste references? Or wait? When is the new python one coming - days, weeks, or months?
    An alpha version of the Python plugin has been released, but it requires the 1.5 Sync Preview and documents used with it won't be backwards compatible.
  • Ok - I went for Zotero 1.5 and the alpha version of the new OpenOffice plugin. Made a new Firefox profile to test it all (and moved my bibliography over with an export / import). Redid the citations, so far, so good.
  • Thanks for the tip. I just reloaded my hard drive and all of the zotero files (for non Zotero reasons). Seems to be working better now. Thanks. Sorry I could not be of more help for the resolution.
  • Ok, I'm trying my luck again with the openoffice.org extension for another paper.

I'm getting the same error I reported above but for a different reason. Now whenever I copy and paste a citation, one of two things happens:
    - if I copy and paste without any extra characters before or after the citation, Zotero no longer things it's a citation ("The cursor is not presently within a Zotero citation");
    - if I copy and paste including characters before and after, I get the message "Action not supported. Invalid procedure call" and the Basic dialog opens up on the line "fnPrefix = Mid(sName, nLoc, 11)"

For the moment, every time I want to cut and paste something, I have to delete and redo all the references, which of course is not very convenient when dealing with long passages.

If it's of any help, here are the two citations--first the original one and then the copied-and-pasted one--as they appear in content.xml:

<text:bookmark-start text:name="ZOTERO_BREF_JJ3132U1Tr"/>(see Krasner 1982; Keohane and Nye 1977)<text:bookmark-end text:name="ZOTERO_BREF_JJ3132U1Tr"/>

<text:bookmark-start text:name="ZOTERO_BREF_JJ3132U1Tr1"/>(see Krasner 1982; Keohane and Nye 1977)<text:bookmark-end text:name="ZOTERO_BREF_JJ3132U1Tr1"/>

The only difference is that the second has an extra "1" after the text:name value.

I'm using the latest svn version of Zotero 1.0 and the current openoffice.org plugin (1.0b3), on Ubuntu Intrepid and Openoffice.org 2.4.
  • I accidentally wrote "cut and paste" in my above post when I should have said "copy and paste." Apparently cutting and pasting isn't a problem, since it preserves exactly the same citation. The problem happens when I copy, creating a new citation.
  • Is it generally recommended to upgrade to 1.5 in spite of all the warnings about how dangerous it is? I'm not sure whether it's better to have something broken/ and not dangerous or something under active development that is dangerous. I guess I'll give it a try after backing up all my data and hope it works.

Thanks.
  • Sorry for the barrage of posts, but I just upgraded to 1.5 and still can't copy and paste citations.

There is still a different result depending on whether I paste the citation only or the citation with the characters before and after it.

1) If I paste it with the characters before and after it and then attempt to edit the pasted citation, the citation itself (without the pasted characters before and after) is shown as selected. If I click on "edit citation" once again, I get the message "You must place the cursor in a Zotero citation to edit it."
    2) If I only copy and paste the citation alone, without any preceding or following characters, I get the message "You must place the cursor in a Zotero citation to edit it."

The strange thing is that if I then delete the pasted citation and attempt to add a new citation from scratch, I get a message asking "Replace this Zotero field?" (which it just told me didn't exist).