Citations and references disassociate when opened on a different machine

I have Zotero stand-alone on several machines, and keep my documents in dropbox so I can work on them regardless of which machine I am logged into. Recently I noticed that the inline citations (APA-6) are not staying linked to the references in the reference section, when I open the Word documents on one of 3 machines (first is a debian linux machine and the others are Windows 7 and 8.1). I remember seeing a checkbox in the install dialogs (or somewhere) that allows me to save the zotero data within the document. I have Open Office on all three machines and edit the doc in Open Office.
When I send the docs to my professor, his editor is trashing my font sizes and also breaking the zotero connection between inline and reference section.
My Open Office automated table of contents is not broken by opening on all these machines, so I think it must be a mistake of configuration in one or another of my Zotero Stand-alone installs.
  • Recently I noticed that the inline citations (APA-6) are not staying linked to the references in the reference section
    What exactly do you mean? Do you mean that you insert a new reference into the document and the bibliography does not get updated? Or are you editing the reference in some other way? In the document with "broken links" can you position the cursor on one of the in-text references and click Edit Citation in the Zotero toolbar?
  • If I understand you correctly and the link between Zotero and those references gets broken (e.g. if you delete the bibliography and re-insert it, none of the citations are in it), then the most likely case is that you're working in OpenOffice, saving the files as .doc or .docx and have "Reference Marks" selected under Document settings. As that dialog says, Reference Marks are only saved in .odt, not in .doc files.