retrieve pdf metadata problem

2»
  • Uninstall/reinstall of zotero did not solve metadata problem...
  • Could you provide debug output? Please include output from the moment you download Tjowens's PDF (you can just right-click and Save Link As Zotero Snapshot) through your attempt to retrieve metadata (right-click PDF in Zotero and Retrieve Metadata for PDF).
  • bauct: You're getting a permission denied error, which generally indicates an extension or application conflict. See Step 5 on the troubleshooting translator issues page, and start a new thread if you're still having trouble.
  • Disabling and then re-enabling Roboform 6.92 solved the problem!
    Thanks!
  • I just switched to Zotero from EndNote for the specific purpose of being able to retrieve PDF metadata, but this feature doesn't seem to work. I have the same problem as others on this forum where the Progress window comes up, it says "Retrieving Metadata" and just spins its wheel without getting anything. I have tried a number of PDFs from a variety of sources and tried the PDF that Tjowens linked, and that one doesn't work either.

I am on Windows XP, running a fresh clean copy of Firefox 3.0.1 with no other extensions except the Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant that came installed. I am using Zotero 2.0b3 with the pdftotext 3.02 installed. The PDFs are definitely getting indexed - they are searchable and I can see the number of PDFs and words accumulating in the Search tab of the preferences window. But no metadata. Would love help on this, since again this is the main reason I switched to Zotero.
  • Hello jasonjjay

I think you are just a victim of unfortunate timing, retrieving PDF metadata happens to be broken in the current 2.0 build, see the known issues, but it has been fixed in the trunk and a new build with this fixed should be out very soon ("in the next few days" was mentioned in a 3 day old post).
  • Got it. Thanks! I poked my head into Trac and saw the modification to trunk on its way. https://www.zotero.org/trac/changeset/4498 I hope this works. I'll look forward to the new build.
  • When I drag a PDF into my library it usually does not drop at all. If I take it to "My Library" it zaps back to the desktop if it is in the middle column it just hangs there. I did many age to import a couple once but then right clicking did not give me the option of recovering meta-data.

I have installed the add ons and tried some of the "standard" pdfs mentioned above. Any one got any ideas what might be wrong?

Incidentially, I also have Mendeley installed as I was experimenting with both after using Endnote for years. Generally Zotero is much better for me, but the PDF OCR functions in Mendeley are very nice.
  • what OS are you running?
    You can also get a pdf to your library by
    a) opening it in your browser with a plugin and clicking the "Create new item from page" button and
    b) using the "store copy of file" function.
  • Thanks for the tip.

With the "Standard PDF" I got everything except the Abstract (I preseume this is not included in the standard retrieval). With my own PDFs it was a bit variable - often the Publication name, vol, pages missing (in the Mendeley pdf viewer one can highlight text and copy it - so correcting mistakes in the automatic retrieval is very quick and easy).

I am using Ubuntu Linux 9.04.
  • edited November 1, 2009
    I believe the metadata comes from google scholar, that's not always great, but usually a good start.
    The adobe FF plugin for linux allows you to highlight and copy text, too. Essentially the same function as the built in pdf reader in Mendeley.

Drag&drop is broken in linux.
  • Again thanks for the tip.

I will follow up on the Drag&Drop in the Ubuntu forums.
  • no, it's a FF on linux issue - word from Dan is it might be fixed for FF 3.6
  • I also found it was possible when I switched my pdf view from Evince to Okular