HELP - Bibliography not being generated

Add and edit bibliography buttons not working in Word 2010. Right click options are also not available. Unable to insert bibliography even though the citation numbers exist throughout the document. Please advice - document due today!
  • What happens when you click "Insert Bibliography"?
    And what do you mean by right-click options? Those don't exist for Zotero in Word.
  • Literally nothing happens at all when I click "Insert Bibliography". I read https://www.zotero.org/support/creating_bibliographies - "Right-Click to Create Citations/Bibliography"
  • OK, but that's in Zotero, not in Word. Are you saying nothing happens there, either? (Just to understand where you're coming from: has this ever worked for you?)
  • Yes, I have used Zotero successfully numerous time with other documents.

When I am in Word, the Bibliography is not present. When I click on the "Insert Bibliography" or "Edit Bibliography" button nothing happens at all.

Thank you for the quick replies!
  • and can you still insert a citation in that document using the insert citation button of Zotero's Word add-on?
    Also, see my other question: when you right click on an item in Zotero (not the Word add-on) can you copy a bibliography to the clipboard and paste it successfully?
  • No, I cannot insert a citation either. All of the 'buttons' in the Zotero toolbar don't seem to be working.

This is a stupid question, but do you mean when I right click on an item in Zotero when I am in the library online?
  • No, I mean in your local Zotero app. Given what you say, first thing I'd do is restart your PC. If that doesn't help, try re-installing Word components from the Cite tab of the Zotero preferences.
  • I've restarted my PC 7 times and re-installed the Word components 4 times, today.
  • I just re-did ALL of the installation/plug-in/add-on/etc steps and when I click the "Insert Bibliography" button it inserted "(Bibliography)" but no citations.
  • Now my library and the group library I am in is not syncing with my computer... even though I entered my username/password.
  • Ok. The libraries are sync'd. When I got to the document, and press "Insert Bibliography" is still only inserts "(Bibliography)". Ideas?

This document has been worked on using a Mac and PC - if that matters at all?
  • OK, can you work with an fresh/empty document?
  • It's completely working in a new document.
  • OK, run through these then:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#debugging_broken_documents

(FWIW, "is still only inserts "(Bibliography)" and "nothing happens at all" are two very different things from a troubleshooting perspective. Please be as precise as possible when describing what's going on)
  • It went from nothing happens at all, as in literally nothing was happening when I clicked the button, to it now inserts "(bibliography)" but no actual bibliography
  • None of the Debugging suggestions have worked. Is there a way to generate the bibliography outside of the document?
  • You can obviously generate a bibliography from Zotero (using the right-click method as per above), but that's not going to be of much use if this is a numerical citation style.

I'm a little surprised, though--you ran through all those steps in under 10mins? Including the labor intensive number 8/9?
    E.g. you're not providing an error report ID as per #7 -- does that mean that option is greyed out for you?
  • edited January 15, 2015
    @Dan, can you check if there's something in there?

@arowlands -- I feel like you're trying to save time at the wrong end. Ideally, you'll want to provide any information that could potentially be relevant, including the exact troubleshooting that you've done and what it has resulted in/what you've seen. I'm still mostly guessing about what you're experiencing. Spend some time on providing us with a clear sense of what's going on and, most likely, both of us are going to end up saving time.
  • I'm not using fields mode.