Which WEBDAV service for Zotero?

I need an advice about which webdav service I can use now (I'm not interested in what will came in future). I'm searching for a free or cheap service that SURELY works with zotero...
  • edited October 30, 2008
    I'm using box.net which seems to work fine. You have to use http, not https but apart from that, I'd recommend it as it is free.
    I should add that there is a 1GB storage limit, but I don't think that you'll find anything more from a free service
    Regards, Jon.
  • I signed up for S3/Jungle Disk a couple of days ago, and whilst the WebDAV functionality itself seems to be working, I'm having problems with Zotero (files are uploaded but the sync itself never ends...).

I have >1GB of PDFs to eventually upload, and couldn't find a suitable free service, but Amazon S3/Jungle Disk seems to scale fairly well.

I would be interested to hear from anyone else using the service if they have had success. If others are having similar problems it might be worth removing JD from the description on http://www.zotero.org/documentation/sync_preview since I decided to go with this service on the basis of this page.

Fundamentally I assume this problem is fixable, since the upload seems to work and I can retrieve the uploaded files from a web browser with no problem (the zip contains a good copy of my attachment).
  • edited October 30, 2008
    A recent poster mentioned a service at mydisk.se, which offers 2GB free storage. I signed up and tried it with Zotero 1.5 Sync Preview 2.2 and had the never-ending sync problem, but that seemed to resolve itself with Sync Preview 3. I wasn't running debug at the time, so I don't know if something has been fixed in the recent updates, but I now have a syncing profile running on two computers with positive results so far.
  • I'm using sync3.1 at the moment. I just signed up and tried mydisk.se - works perfectly first time! Thanks for the tip :)

I would still like to resolve the problems with S3/Jungle Disk if possible (since I've now paid for it, and will also use it for file backups) - any further suggestions gratefully accepted!
  • I have just created an account in mydisk.se and would really like to use the webdav service, but I don't understand how to do this. I have tried, but couldn't get it. Do I have to create a new folder in mydisk.se and then synchronize this folder? Where I get the necessary URL that I must write in Zotero Preferences?

Thank you for your help.
  • The URL is:

https://mydisk.se/username

zotero will create the folder for you. All you should have to do is fill in the URL above (with your username, of course) and your username and password...
  • 1.5 Sync Preview 3.2, now available, may fix problems with Jungle Disk, though it still requires testing.
  • sync3.2 works perfectly with Jungle Disk, many thanks!!
  • I am thrilled that you were able to get this to work with JungleDisk. I already have it and would like to use it with this. Help out a noob, if you would: what URL do you put in the Zotero Preferences? Thanks
  • Hello,

I actually use Foldershare - it's a free service from Microsoft as part of Live... http://foldershare.com

I just set Foldershare to sync the storage folder outside of Zotero - so Zotero doesn't know anything about a sync. Then I just have Zotero sync the data like normal. It works great - I've had no problems at all.

Mike
  • Hello

I have some problems with apple Idisk (WebDAV): 1.5 sync preview 3.2 sync all the entries but not de attached files. These one are uploaded to apple Idisk (zip format), but not downloaded to the other computers.

Does any one have and idea to resolve this problem?

Thanks for your help.
  • edited November 2, 2008
    Make sure that you enter the proper WebDAV URL, user ID, and password for those other computers into their Zotero preferences. Check the "Enable file syncing" box.

Now try syncing from one of them. If it still doesn't work, please send debug output to support@zot....org.
  • edited November 3, 2008
    mydocsonline.com works fine. been using it successfully with Zotero sync for about a month
  • edited November 3, 2008
    mryckman,
    could you explain more specifically precisely how you use www.foldershare.com to sync the local Zotero (database) folder and then use this folder from the remote Zotero computer (and vice versa).
  • Hello,

In Foldershare, you can setup multiple computers to synchronize specific folders. I wouldn't use Foldershare to synchronize your whole zotero folder because of a variety of write conflict issues that come up when you try to synchronize database content, but you can sync the storage folder just fine.

To do this, you'll of course need Zotero Sync-Preview on both computers. You will also need the FolderShare client installed on both computers. You then setup Zotero normally to sync your content. In the Zotero preferences, you do not setup WebDav syncing... Just leave that turned off...

In FolderShare, choose that you want to create a new synced folder. Go to your first computer and select the storage folder in your zotero folder. Then, do the same on the second computer. Foldershare will then keep the two storage folders synchronized independently of Zotero.

Hope that helps,

Mike
  • I have now switched to www.mydisk.se as it is much more cost effective (2 MB free and $78/y USD for 5 MB) than mydocsonline.com. switching over on two computers seems to have been no problem.

I am however interested in the MS Folder share strategy mentioned below (but have not studied or tried it) that syncs the folders (outside of Zotero). It would seem that this would work invisibly. I wonder what the advantages/disadvantages are relative to Zotero sync.
  • To answer tmedney, I believe you have to have Jungle Disk Plus (which only costs $1 a month extra I think) to enable web-based access to your Amazon S3 storage via WebDAV. Go into "Configure" in your JD client and under whichever bucket you use, look at "Jungle Disk plus". There's a link there to enable/disable web access. This takes you to the settings page in your account - you can choose the URL such that it is:

https://yourchoice.myjungledisk.com/default
  • Also, for WebDAV, consider using a php based WebDAV server. I am using this and it works great. This way, you can use any webhosting company that offers php - and there are many free webhosters "out there" who give you 10, 20 or more GB for free.

The one I am using can be downloaded from and is described at http://blog.keyphrene.com/keyphrene/index.php/2006/09/16/9-how-to-install-a-webdav-server-in-php

It's a little bit tricky to set up, particularly the authentification bit (I ended up just using .htaccess authentification and not the inbuilt auth module) and since the instructions on that blog don't mention that one needs to setup SQL database tables (for the lock and unlock operations of the WebDAV server module).

But once you have set this up (which should be no problem with some basic php knowledge), it's fine.
  • the instructions on that blog don't mention that one needs to setup SQL database tables (for the lock and unlock operations of the WebDAV server module).
    We haven't tested the WebDAV server mentioned in that article, but, assuming the server will run without them, you actually shouldn't need any additional tables for use with Zotero, as we don't use locking and no longer use stored properties (for compatibility with servers that don't implement those more complicated parts of the WebDAV spec).
  • Thanks for that information, Dan. The WebDAV server mentioned is actually a very simple and straightforward implementation of the WebDAV module of the PEAR extensions for PHP which by default (it seems) require a database for unlock/lock operations, so that it is actually (in this case) easier to just create the tables than to search for where ever one can disable the lock/unlock stuff.
    Good to know that zotero doesn't need that, though - I guess, I will try and find the setting then - no need to give php scripts database access that don't really need them.
  • edited November 13, 2008
    Based on Dan's information, I changed the code of the php WebDAV server that I mentioned before, mainly removing the implementation of the lock/unlock operations and it thus does not require a database anymore. Also, I updated the pretty old PEAR version that was used by the implementation I mentioned yesterday and only use the modules that are required for the WebDAV.

I packaged everything in a neat little zip file (373 kiB) and wrote some installation instructions, so it might be of use for others. As mentioned in the other thread, this approach is particularly useful for people without WebDAV service or whose institution firewall locks them out of their WebDAV server. All traffic with this one goes over normal HTTP 80.
  • Just adding another option that works with Zotero: BingoDisk.com from Joyent. The price is a lot better than box.net and mydisk.se if you need more than 2 or 5Gb respectively: 15Gb for $29/year.

See this topic for more info.
  • I am currently using Livedrive (www.livedrive.com) that gives you unlimited storage space (it started as beta-version, and I liked it, so now even paying some money per year, it saves me a lot of time and brings more assurance that I will have the files I need at any moment). Livedrive synchronizes your files on all your computers, so I am using it as a directory to store Zotero. I tried synchronization of Zotero, but it was quite unsuccessful for me, so I am using now the combination of livedrive and Zotero.
  • I just upgraded to Zotero 1.5b2 and also set up an account on MyDisk.se (as I have <1Gb of files and wanted something free) but unfortunately file syncing is not working. I just get the message:
    /
    Permission denied
    You don't have permission to access silverfin/zotero/ on the storage server. Please check your storage settings or contact your server administrator.
    /

Data syncing works fine.
    Any suggestions?
  • Add a "ditto" to Silverfin's last post. I also just upgraded to 1.5b2 and can no longer sync with mydisk.se. Mydisk.se is working fine as I'm able to log in normally.
  • mydisk.se recently cut off Zotero client access. See http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/5951
  • Great... Thanks for the link. So I'm off to create my own WebDAV I suppose.
  • edited March 18, 2009
    I hope some more "small" free WebDav server will show up in 2009, since mydisk just dropped it for zotero.
  • I asked the myDisk folks if they would still provide Zotero access to paying customers and they said they would. See http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/5951for the full post.
  • munged the last link -- see this thread

http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/5951