Adding URLs in all citations

Hello,

I'm looking for a way to add URLs on all publications where the URL field is filled-in.

Unfortunately, the option in the Zotero Preferences / Cite / "Include URLs of paper articles in references" doesn't work in all cases.

Is there a workaround (maybe a custom CLS file?) to force including URLs?

I need a Chicago Manual of Style 16th edition (author-date).

Thank you if you have tips or advices to solve this.
Clément.
  • The relevant code in the Chicago style is
    <choose>
    <if type="legal_case" match="none">
    <choose>
    <if variable="DOI">
    <text variable="DOI" prefix="doi:"/>
    </if>
    <else>
    <text variable="URL"/>
    </else>
    </choose>
    </if>
    </choose>

i.e. you'd get URLs unless the item was a legal case or has a DOI.
    If you want the URL in every case just change this (and exactly this -- missing or adding a line will break things) to
    <text variable="URL"/>

http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step
    has instructions on editing styles.
  • Hi Adam,

Many thanks, it worked like a charm... but now it doesn't work anymore. Did something change on the side of Zotero ? Do you have any tip I could try ?

Thank you.
    Clement.
  • Remember you still need the "Include URL" option checked. With that, this should still work. Certainly nothing has changed in Zotero, but note that if you don't change style IDs of styles you modify, Zotero will overwrite your edits.
  • I would like to have the American Political Science Association Style showing all URL in the bibliography - for books, for documents, for everything (as long as there is no DOI). Expecially when sharing working drafts of an article that is helpful, no?

Actually, I would love to have a button adding the URL to all Styles (on/off) - so this would be a change request for zotero, and not on csl level? I am new to csl scripting and have a hard time translating the code change described above to american-political-science-association.csl (or elsevier).