Tag Ordering and Options

Hello,

I think it might be helpful if with tags we could see in some way how many items have that tag. It would be cool if I had a way then to hide tags with less than x number of items. So say my most common tags have at least 30 items a piece, I could put a filter to show first only tags with 30 or more items (or isolates - tags not subsumed by one of those with 30 or more)... then when I click on the tag, have the others show.

It's a minor thing - just thought it might be cool...

Mike
  • Zotero 1.5 offers the ability to present a tag cloud where tags are sized according to their relative usage. Your ideas sound good, and we'll keep them in mind for future enhancements.
  • Hi Sean...

Thanks... Maybe this is a dumb question - but is this in the current release (3.1)? I didn't see a tag cloud.

Mike
  • You currently have to set extensions.zotero.tagCloud to true in about:config. It still has a few issues (particularly in collections, where the weightings aren't accurate), so it's disabled by default.
  • Cool... thanks for the heads up... it definitely looks like a cool feature... I can see what you mean with the issues though - but great start.

Mike

• It still has a few issues (particularly in collections, where the weightings aren't accurate)
    So should the weightings be accurate for the entire library? I'm not finding that with 1.5sync3.2, but if you know of the issues presumably they're not worth reporting?
  • So should the weightings be accurate for the entire library?
    To be honest, I just glanced at it myself for the first time an hour ago, so I'm not sure. I just know that the collection weightings couldn't possibly be accurate.

It's probably not worth reporting issues yet, since it'll be fully reviewed before we turn it on by default.
  • OK. It's certainly not accurate yet, but looks like it'll be nice when done.
  • Hi - I'm reviving this thread, because I did not see any other topics related to the tagcloud option in about:config.

I just set extensions.zotero.tagcloud to true and it appears to be working fine. Granted, I am new to Zotero and so far I'm just using tags and not collections.

Are there bugs that I should know about with tagcloud set to true? Is there a reason it is not listed in the documentation as a hidden preference?

Also, great program! At first, I passed Zotero by because I didn't really like the idea of working exclusively within my web browser - a good portion of my research is done off-line and I will have to add scanned documents into Zotero. But after giving Zotero a second chance, I think the features and ease of use have won me over.
  • Are there any new developments on this? I would find weights throughout the entire library very helpful. Right now, I still get incorrect results. Some tags with many entries attached don't get scaled up, others do, however. Haven't figured out why. Obviously the zotero team is still working on this since it's not defaulted (I changed the setting in about:config), but I was wondering if there has been any progress on this feature.