Downloaded newest version isn't recognized

I have gone through many steps over the last two days to download the MLZ in a futile hope to save some citations in a word doc. To then uninstalling MLZ and trying to reinstall the regular Zotero . I removed and uninstalled my old Zotero and MLZ (files, add-ons, etc...), restarted my computer many times and updated everything I could think of. I then have tried to download the standalone and firefox versions of Zotero and every time it tells me that my version is out of date. It then looks for updates, says there aren't any because I have the most up to date version, and eventually never opens. Help!
  • that's expected. You can't just install Zotero on an MLZ-modified database. Aurimas actually gives very explicit instructions how to get around this in the post we keep linking to, namely:
    sync to zotero.org, remove MLZ, restore your library backup, sync with zotero.org.
    The key part is the "restore your library backup" i.e. the back up taken from before you installed MLZ. (you can also use an automated back-up, which MLZ takes, in case you forgot to back up).

Since it doesn't sound like you were successful getting your items out of the document (though it's not clear to me why not), that's really all you need to do. If you had added items while in MLZ, they would then sync back to your library, since you synced them to the Zotero server.