Adding items into random folders

I use Zotero Standalone and Firefox, and typically add items directly into a group library. For some reason, whenever I try to add an item today via the icon in my browser's address bar, it is saving them in random folders in a different group library. This is despite selecting my usual group library in Zotero before clicking on the address bar icon. Incidentally, the folders it has chosen to save items in today are folders that I'm pretty certain I've never even looked at.

When I drag and drop (e.g. PDFs saved to my desktop or from my downloads folder), I am still able to save them in my chosen folder.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • Zotero would tell you which collection it's saving to in the pop-up bubble that comes up when you use the URL bar icon. What does that say?
  • One thing you'd want to check is whether Standalone and Zotero for Firefox version are still pointed to the same data directory. If you click on the Z icon at the top right of Firefox--does your Zotero Standalone come up (right behavior) or does Zotero open at the bottom of your browser (which would indicated separate data directories).
  • Thanks for responding so quickly. Usually, it would say it's saving to 'Info team'. But today, it has saved to folders such as 'England' and 'Patient experience'. These are both subcollections in a different group library (called Evidence team) which I rarely look at and never add items to.
  • When I click the Z icon in Firefox, the Standalone window comes up.
  • That's odd. Could you try with Zotero Standalone closed and the right collections selected in Zotero for Firefox?
  • Oddly enough, it works properly when I close Standalone and use Zotero for Firefox.

I then re-opened the Standalone version, tried once more, and it saved the item in the wrong group library again (this time to a sub-collection called 'Latest research'.
  • Could you please provide a debug ID from Standalone that comprises
    a) selecting the right collection in Zotero
    b) saving an item via URL bar icon and having it go into a different collection.
    https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output
    Dan would have to look at that.
  • Here's the debug ID:
    D306252861

Thanks
  • Nothing is being saved to Standalone in that debug output.
  • That's strange, I followed the instructions on the link and added an item to the library prior to sending the ID.

However, even stranger is that everything is now working fine and items are being added to the correct library. I have no idea why it wasn't working yesterday.

Thanks for looking into the problem.