WYSIWYG

I have just updated Zotero to 1.5-sync3.1.
New WYSIWYG functionality for notes is awesome! I totaly love it.

Thanks Zotero team!
  • Couldn't agree more... this is fantastic... Great job!
  • woot! i was just about to suggest this as a feature, good news!
  • Right click in the notes box (or in the 'edit in a separate window' box) does not seem to be functioning. Firefox 3.0.3. & Zotero Sync 1.5-sync3.2
  • Right click doesn't do anything for me... is it supposed to?

Edit in separate window is working on mine.

Mike
  • Right click in the notes box (or in the 'edit in a separate window' box) does not seem to be functioning.
    This is a known bug, thanks.
  • It also seems, that Zotero Sync is losing note's associations with specific categories (collections) after syncning between two computers via Zotero server.

For example: if I put a note into new collection, after syncing it appears in another computer without problems, but after a while (i.e. changing something in this note and syncing again) it somehow loses association with the same collection in another computer. So it appears only under My Library, that means I have to manually find it again (and drag it to the collection - which also does not help always).

Strangely this does not happen with every note.
  • edited November 7, 2008
    i just started testing 1.5-sync3.2 and its great! ... one suggestion / issue:

the default font size in notes is tiny. i know this can be changed in css, but tinyMCE has the option for "font size" button (as well as many other buttons). i imagine the goal was to keep the interface minimal and clean, but font size seems pretty crucial. any way to add this button?
  • TinyMCE's font size button applies the font size to the content, which isn't semantically appropriate (since you're just referring to the font size while editing, not anything particular about the content that merits larger text). It's the default CSS for the editor that needs to be adjustable, and we just haven't yet added any way to do that via the UI.
  • Yeah, font size (and family) definitely does not belong in the interface. As Dan notes, It could be a good global preference item for display.
  • edited November 8, 2008
    Dan, where's the CSS file? The open/close marks added to the blockquotes are really odd. I don't mind removing them myself, of course, but I'd suggest you do that more generally.

Also, when the note is displayed in the sidebar (in particular), the toolbars take up an excessive amount of vertical real estate. Can you include a disclosure triangle that would have the toolbars collapsed by default when in the sidebar?
  • Dan, where's the CSS file?
    chrome/skin/default/zotero/tinymce/note-content.css

If using an XPI, see Modifying Zotero Files for editing instructions.
    The open/close marks added to the blockquotes are really odd.
    I wouldn't say that they're all that odd. The HTML 4 spec states that browsers "must ensure that the content of the Q element is rendered with delimiting quotation marks", and it seems to imply that, as long as blockquotes are used correctly (i.e., not for indentation), automatic quotation marks would be acceptable for those too. CSS can also automatically follow the convention of not adding a trailing quotation mark to non-final paragraphs in multi-paragraph quotations.

On the other hand, the HTML 5 working draft reverses course and states that "Quotation punctuation (such as quotation marks), if any, must be placed inside the q element", and most style guides probably recommend not using quotation marks for block quotes. And text with CSS-based quotation marks copied to the clipboard doesn't include the quotation marks, which isn't ideal.

If we're not using quotation marks, though, there should probably be some stylistic treatment beyond just the indentation.

(We also need to modify the web page context menu options that create notes to use blockquotes now that they're available.)
  • edited November 8, 2008
    If we're not using quotation marks, though, there should probably be some stylistic treatment beyond just the indentation.
    So that it's easy for people to see what's going on semantically, I take it?

I guess italics are one option, but there are all kinds of interesting ways web designers do this these days.

I think part of what was jarring about it was less the finished rendering (though that was part of it), but rather how it displayed in a dynamic editing context.