Sorting the Bibliography

The bibliography uses Name and date, where no short title exists, or the short title when it is present, it should sort like this:

AmZ – Allgemeine musikalische Zeitung, hrsg. v. Friedrich Rochlitz u.a., 50 Bde., Leipzig 1798/99-1848.

Barach 1871 – Moritz Barach: Hört er oder nicht?, in: Alt-Wien: Bilder und Geschich-ten von Dr. Märzroth, Leipzig-Berlin 1871, S. 101–108.

Beethoven Briefwechsel – Ludwig van Beethoven: Beethoven Briefwechsel Gesamt-ausgabe, hrsg. v. Sieghard Brandenburg, 7 Bde., München 1996.

However, I can't get it to sort like this. I have tried to use a macro for this, but I don't think I understand how macros work for sorting. I would have thought that whatever the macro produces as output would then be sorted alphabetically, but I can't make this happen. What am I doing wrong?
  • I'd want to see what you're actually using for sort, generally this works the way you describe.
  • I found the problem: As soon as I put Date into the Macro it doesn't work the way I would expect. So I took it out, which works fine, I can have the Date in the next Sort key.
  • yes, that makes sense (to some extent, at least) - dates aren't sorted as numbers but as dates and I'd expect that to not work in combination with alphabetic sorting in a single macro.