NP405 Citation Style from EndNote

Hi guys

I began using Zotero and I am really like it.
I need the NP405 Citation style that I have in EndNote.
Is it possible to export from EndNote and import it into Zotero?

Best regards from Portugal
Lino Oliveira
  • edited October 24, 2008
    Thomson Reuters has asserted that you may not use their styles in third-party software, such as Zotero.

A CSL style can probably be made so that you can use this with Zotero.

Please link to a style manual, try to find the closest matching style that already exists, and enumerate the changes that need to be made.
  • Just to put a fine point on it, the Endnote makers have done more than passively "asserted"; they have sued GMU to stop distribution of Zotero, and for $10 million in claimed lost revenue, over exactly this issue. As Rick says, I'm sure people here would be happy to help you move over to Zotero by writing a new CSL style.
    The NP405 Citation Style it is not built in in EndNote. It is a Portuguese Norm and the version for EndNote was developed by Universidade de Aveiro.
    Unfortunately, Thomson Reuters believes they own the style (and other user-created EndNote® styles). They ask that you obtain their written consent to use it outside of EndNote or to distribute it to people who aren't licensed EndNote users. I can't comment on the legal standing of their opinion and, although I disagree with them, I (and others) can't help you use that style file due to liability concerns.

The ability to use any EndNote style (as-is) has been removed from Zotero betas & a possible re-appearance of this feature would depend upon resolution of the lawsuit.

A new CSL style is the way to go from a legal standpoint.

It is also the best way to go from a technical standpoint. I think we'd be happy to help create a CSL style & the license on that new file would be far more permissive than the license that Thomson claims. (Also, possibly unlike .ENS: if your institution creates the CSL file themselves, they would be the owners of the style & could use and distribute it as they want to.)
  • For that, unfortunately Universidade de AVeiro is not my institution.
    I am trying to develop a new NP405 style to work with Zotero, begining with this style generato:r http://www.somwhere.org/csl/ .
  • I am trying to develop a new NP405 style to work with Zotero
    That's good & I think that is still a good plan.

Note that support for using EndNote .ens style files has been re-enabled in the sync preview version. The legal questions are between you, Universidade de AVeiro, and Thomson Reuters. But the technical ability is there.

Still, a native CSL-file will be much better going forward.
  • Did Lino Oliveira or someone else got to develop the NP405 style? I'm one of those who needed it...

The NP405 is based on ISO 690 but it has no correspondence in non book materials and unpublished documents. You can find the style guides (in portuguese) here:

http://www.fcsh.unl.pt/bibliotecas/normas
  • Hi mjalmeida

I solved my NP405 problem!
    With version 2 of Zotero, it is possible to import EndNote NP405 style.
    If you don't have it, you can find it in digital libraries of Universidade do Porto or Universidade de Aveiro.

Regards,
  • Yeah, but that's not a very good general solution. I still urge people that need this style to help develop a more open alternative.
  • Hi, can anyone send me the latest NP405 Citation Style (From Endnote or Universidade de Aveiro) for Portugal?
    I am using Endnote X3 and i need that one, or in case i don't find it, the latest APA Style, which problably cames with Endnote
  • uhm - Endnote has it's own forum - they also have most of their styles for download on their site.
  • edited January 26, 2011
    Im going to search there, but i believe that if they have it, it's because some Portuguese University send it to them... regards

EDIT: can't find it on endnote site
  • Olá,

Algum utilizador do ZOTERO pode me informar onde posso obter/descarregar o NP 405 ?

Obrigado !
  • we don't currently have NP 405, but are very close
    https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/pull/413
  • Great! I really need it for my PhD… Thanks for working on this issue.
    How can we know when it is available?
  • NP405 is now available from the Zotero style repository at zotero.org/styles
  • Thanks so much!! It will be very, very useful!