upload stuck at 0/n for days

in the logs all i see at the end is "invalid progress for X". tried with the standalone and the plugin, same result. its seems that there is nothing left to upload, though i cant be sure because i am not a database. I'e tried deleting file X, but then the problme just repeats with the same log line for file X+1.
  • edited December 24, 2014
    Something on your system — possibly Kaspersky, from the looks of it — is interfering with Zotero's file syncing requests. Nothing Zotero can do about that. Disable Kaspersky or other things you have installed and try again.
  • mlinchits's post from another thread, for reference:
    bug. i've had the problem of uploads stucks at (0/n) for days. it seems that all files have already been uploaded (though i cant be sure, i am not a database). the original volume of uploads was rather big by zotero standards (1.5 gb). fix this please. disappointing. bought 6 gb of storage for a whopping 60 bucks and now i have to deal with this.
  • 1260038935. seems to have made some progress, but has encountered another error.
  • Not sure what you're trying to say here. If you want help, you'll have to take the time to explain exactly what you've done and what's happening.
  • well after i removed the file, it - after the error - uploaded the rest. i then added the file back to zotero and uploaded it. kis is blameless here, clearly. the point now is that zotero stalled for just under two days before I cajoled it into uploading 1.5 gb. why this has happened, i really dunno. already wasted enough time on it as it is and have lost futher interest. point is that zotero sync turns slow and buggy when uploads get big (by zotero standards).
  • Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about here.
    [JavaScript Error: "Request failed in Zotero.Sync.Storage.StreamListener.onStopRequest() (2152398868)" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage/streamListener.js" line: 96}]
    [JavaScript Error: "S3 returned 0 (0_DSI9TC5J) -- retrying upload" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage/zfs.js" line: 484}]
    [JavaScript Error: "Request failed in Zotero.Sync.Storage.StreamListener.onStopRequest() (2152398868)" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage/streamListener.js" line: 96}]
    [JavaScript Error: "S3 returned 0 (0_DM6FF5ZG) -- retrying upload" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage/zfs.js" line: 484}]
    [JavaScript Error: "S3 returned 0 (0_DSI9TC5J) -- retrying upload" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage/zfs.js" line: 484}]
    [JavaScript Error: "S3 returned 0 (0_GIJCGEAP) -- retrying upload" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage/zfs.js" line: 484}]
    [JavaScript Error: "S3 returned 0 (0_F3QN5FVE) -- retrying upload" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage/zfs.js" line: 484}]
    [JavaScript Error: "S3 returned 0 (0_F3QN5FVE) -- retrying upload" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage/zfs.js" line: 484}]
    [JavaScript Error: "S3 returned 0 (0_GIJCGEAP) -- retrying upload" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage/zfs.js" line: 484}]
    I don't know what you "file" you're referring to, but as you can see in this error report, your uploads were failing generally for various different files. ("S3 returned 0" is an inexact message — it means the connection to Amazon's servers was interrupted.) This isn't something caused by Zotero itself — it happens when something is interfering with the file sync requests.

There was an issue caused by the Hola Firefox extension — which, like some security software, messes with normal uploads — that we worked around in 4.0.24 for Firefox. It's possible that 4.0.24 for Standalone, when it's released, will similarly work around interference there, though that's more likely to be external to Zotero. (Your error report shows some bizarre Kaspersky plugins loaded into Zotero, and I'm not sure what they do, but I wouldn't think that those could interfere with network requests. Something else running on your system could, though.)

The sync hanging instead of showing you an error message — if that's what was happening — would be a bug, the simple solution to which would be to just restart Zotero. But the underlying problem was absolutely something other than Zotero.
  • Oh, but also, re: "the problem of uploads stucks at (0/n)", if you're saying that the tooltip was showing that, that's not even a problem. Every so often, and particularly when you click the sync icon manually, Zotero will check all local files for changes to see if it needs to upload them, and it might show "0/n" for a short while and then finish (because it's not actually uploading anything, just checking them).

And then the retries shown in your report may have been perfectly normal intermittent failures that can happen over the course of thousands of requests. Zotero retries those automatically, so they're only an issue if they happen all together at the beginning of a sync, after which the sync should fail with an error. That would be when something like security software was interfering. But maybe that's not what you were seeing.

So, yeah, I don't even know what issue you were really reporting here. But it sounds like things are working for you now, and I'm not particularly inclined to engage with you further based on your tone here, so we can probably leave it at that.