Adding spaces before annotations

How do you add spaces between annotations (taken from the "Extra" field) and the preceding bibliographic info?

I tried to add this to the "Council of Science Editors, Name-Year (author-date)" style, just above the "</layout>" line:
<text variable="note" prefix=“ ”/>

But I get this error message:
[JavaScript Application] An error occurred generating your bibliography. Please try again

Strangely, either of these work fine:
<text display="block" variable="note"/>
<text variable="note"/>

I looked through the Citation Style Language guide but must be missing something...

Not sure if it is relevant, but I am using standalone version for the Mac.

Style I am trying to modify is avail here:
https://www.zotero.org/styles/council-of-science-editors-author-date
  • it looks like you're using smart quotes - can't do that in XML, it needs to be prefix=" " not prefix=“ ”
    (that's why you never write code in Word ;)
  • edited December 23, 2014
    Awesome, thanks! (Turns out that Apple added smart quotes to TextEdit somewhere along the way.... but fortunately they can be turned off in Preference).

Now, is there anyway to add a blank line in between bibliographic listings - like below?

Hartman P, Bezos JP, Kaphan S, Spiegel J. 1999 Sep 28. Method and system for placing a purchase order via a communications network. NOTES: blah blah blah.

Hogue CWV. 2001. Structure databases. In: Baxevanis AD, Ouellette BFF, editors. Bioinformatics. 2nd ed. New York, NY: Wiley-Interscience. (Life Sciences Series). p. 83–109.

I tried the following but it did not work (without the spaces between: & # 10 ;):
    <text variable="note" prefix="NOTES: " suffix="& # 10 ;"/>
  • no, don't hard-code that in the citation. Set entry-spacing="1" in the line that starts with <bibliography
  • That does the job for HTML output.. but is there anyway to accomplish same thing when copying to clipboard - so that the stuff I paste (for example into an email to a colleague) will have a bland line int between the listings so as to facilitate reading?