[JavaScriptApplication] There was an error starting Zotero.

I installed zotero under FF3.0.3.
In the lower right corner there is a yellow triangle over the zotero tag, which makes the error message:
There was an error starting Zotero.

I checked all available places on zotero.org and exlcluded the possibilities (like incopmpatible add-ons, etc). Turned on JS debugging and found the following error message:

Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE) [nsIJSCID.getService]" nsresult: "0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js :: anonymous :: line 772" data: no]
Source File: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/zotero.js
Line: 220

How can I have Zotero work? I have it at home and like it!
Please repy to gulyas@koki.hu
  • I tried to delete these (FF off)

compreg.dat, xpti.dat, extensions.cache, extensions.ini, and extensions.rdf

but did not help, I forgot to mention also that I tried Zoter with all addins disabled, no success.
  • That error doesn't give us much to go on, unfortunately. Is this on a normal hard drive or an external/flash drive? Are you trying to use a custom data directory location or the default?
  • Thanks, :(
    No it is normal HD data at the default location "D:\Documents and Settings\gulyas\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\a37ndryl.default"

Menwhile I tried the new profile in FF trick, with zotero as only addon, did not help.

Restarting XP and deleting the
    compreg.dat
    extensions.cache
    extensions.ini
    extensions.rdf
    xpti.dat

files was not helpful either.
    should I get teh nightly build?
  • OK! It works now. I installed the latest version dubebd Grand Paradiso version 3.0.4pre and zotero started to work. I am not completely sure this version is crucial or only a new installation solved the problem, but I am now happy.

thanks!