notes broken error

When trying to add a note (using the note tab; not annotations) to any item in my Zotero database, the extra note window pops up but the area to type in is blank/white and will not accept a cursor. I am using version 1.5a1.r3545 on WinXP. Error code 96844367.

----------------
Failed to load XPCOM component: C:\Documents and Settings\jl9512\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\bfw2r8xe.default\extensions\{2fa4ed95-0317-4c6a-a74c-5f3e3912c1f9}\components\build.sh

Profiler Component Created

[JavaScript Error: "tagsView is null" {file: "chrome://ybookmarks/content/toolbar.js" line: 309}]

[JavaScript Error: "no element found" {file: "https://api.del.icio.us/v1/posts/update?src=ffbmext2.0.104" line: 1}]

[JavaScript Error: "no element found" {file: "https://api.del.icio.us/v1/posts/update?src=ffbmext2.0.104" line: 1}]

• This should be fixed in the latest trunk build.
  • Maybe the report number and text that I gave you did not go with the problem I am seeing. The problem I described above with notes still persists in 1.5a1.r3567. The report error I am seeing has not changed.

Using debug mode I get the following message when clicking on the notes tab and then clicking the add button.
    ---------------
    zotero(5): SELECT N.itemID, title FROM itemNotes N NATURAL JOIN items WHERE sourceItemID=?
    zotero(5): Binding parameter 1 of type int: 10302
    zotero(3): No arguments provided to Items.get()
    zotero(3): Setting mode to note
    zotero(3): Refreshing note editor
    zotero(4): Registering observer for [item] in notifier with hash F7'
  • I'm not sure this applies but there is an error triggered when I close the Note editor. See report 2063784900.
    -------------
    [JavaScript Error: "this._editor is null" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/bindings/styled-textbox.xml" line: 151}]
  • What if you disable all other Firefox extensions (e.g., NoScript)?
  • Disabling extensions does not work. To test, I now have Zotero installed in 3 different Firefox profiles.

With Zotero 1.0.7 notes work.
    With Zotero 1.5-sync2.2 notes work.
    With Zotero 1.5a1.r3577 notes do not work.

If you can think any other important feedback let me know.
  • Grab the latest trunk build, run Zotero with debug output enabled, and send the output generated while attempting to load a note to support@zot....org.
  • Thanks for looking into this. I did send this to support. Also note that I have now discovered that this is only a problem when trying to create a note by selecting the "Notes" tab and then clicking the "Add" button. If I right click on my article name and choose "Add a note" then there is no problem. I thought the separate window might be the problem so after clicking "Add a note" from the menu and successfully typing my note, I chose to "Edit in a separate window." That works fine and allows me to type more. Somehow, there is a difference between behavior of the "Add" button and the "Edit in a separate window" button.

Zotero 1.5a1.r3590; Firefox 3.03, Windows XP

------------------------------------

zotero(5): SELECT N.itemID, title FROM itemNotes N NATURAL JOIN items WHERE sour
    ceItemID=?
    zotero(5): Binding parameter 1 of type int: 4
    zotero(3): No arguments provided to Items.get()
    zotero(3): Setting mode to note
    zotero(3): Refreshing note editor
    zotero(4): Registering observer for [item] in notifier with hash tW'
  • Ah, well in that case: fixed in the latest trunk build. Thanks.
  • Thanks Dan. The latest build and disabling NoScript fixes the problem. Note that the latest build does not work if NoScript is enabled. Does anybody know how to disable just part of NoScript and have both extensions still work? The error I get from Firefox is below. I'll go dig around on the NoScript website to see if I can find further info too.

Error: self._iframe.contentWindow.wrappedJSObject.tinyMCE is undefined
    Source File: chrome://zotero/content/bindings/styled-textbox.xml
    Line: 262

Great program Dan.
  • It looks like when Zotero starts the new rich text editor feature (tinyMCE) NoScript doesn't like it and blocks the editor from starting. For this reason the area in the window usually taken up by the editor is empty and unresponsive. The only way around the problem that I have found is to disable NoScript when you want to read/create a note.
  • Does anybody know how to disable just part of NoScript and have both extensions still work?
    I've never used NoScript, but I imagine you can whitelist just the URL of the local HTML file that Zotero uses to set up TinyMCE. I don't know if NoScript blocks scripts from file:// URLs by default, but Zotero uses a jar:file:// URL because the file is stored in an archive file in the extension directory, so that might contribute to the problem. If you run the debug output, you should be able to see the URL (ending in note.html) that it's trying to load. You'd want to whitelist integration.html as well (for use by the word processor integration), or, ideally, the entire tinymce directory.
  • edited October 24, 2008
    Thanks for the advice Dan. The only way I've managed to get this working so far is by whitelisting " jar: "
    At the moment, this seems to be the only option that NoScript accepts.
    I have no idea how much of a hole, if one at all, this leaves in NoScript but am happy that this works.
    Regards, Jon.
  • I suspect that's fine, as NoScript has a separate feature that prevents remote JAR resources from being loaded as documents.
  • Jon, That works for me (whitelisting "jar: ") and seems like a good solution. Thank you both.
  • As of the latest trunk build, whitelisting should no longer be necessary.
  • Great, whatever you did works. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.