Unable to Edit References after Import

Hello, Zoteroists.

I am experiencing an issue with the references after exporting my database. They seem to have disappeared from the database, although they still appear as Zotero quotations in the document.

I have been using Zotero 3.0.14 (plugin version, with Firefox 15.0.1) on my old laptop, with LO 3.5. The laptop is running Suse 11.4 (GNOME).

I have now exported my library to my desktop PC, using the built-in export tool (RDF format). The desktop PC has LO 4.2.7, Firefox 34, a freshly installed Zotero plugin 4.0.24.1 and runs Mint 17 Cinnamon 2.2.16.

The issue I am experiencing is the following. The library shows up correctly in the Zotero pane on the desktop PC, and LibreOffice recognises the references in the documents as such, BUT, when I try to modify them using the Edit Citation tool, the dialogue menu is completely blank. If I try to refresh, or re-insert the fields manually, I get the message "The highlighted citation no longer exists in your Zotero database. Do you want to select a substitute item?"

I can add new references without any problem.

I have found another instance of the same issue on this forum (discussion ID 654872155) but no solution has been suggested.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Folquet
  • Update.
    Hard-moving the firefox/zotero folder from the laptop to the desktop seems to have yielded results. At first the issue persisted, but after a refresh the documents are now modifiable from the desktop too.
  • yes, that's expected:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/transferring_a_library
    glad you got it to work.
  • Thanks Adam!

I may have spoken too soon, however. Some of the references work, but it seems that most don't. Even after refreshing, the fields of the Edit Citation dialogue remain blank. Just to clarify: is that expected?

(for context: I am working on my PhD thesis. I cannot reinsert all the quotations manually, and I need them to be 'responsive', so this issue is effectively forcing me to do all the proofreading on the old laptop).
  • Not after you've transferred your library correctly (i.e. moved the Zotero folder), no.
    I'm not exactly clear on what you mean by a blank edit citation dialog. Do you still get the "The highlighted citation...." message?
  • All right, so: I have opened a 'clean' document containing Zotero references. On my laptop, the references are fully editable (i.e., when I open the edit citation dialogue, all the fields show their respective contents).

When I do the same operation on the desktop - having manually transferred the library - I obtain this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vw9hlz2682nld2d/zotero_grab.jpg?dl=0

As you can see, the reference is recognised by zotero, but the edit dialogue is blank: no title selected, all the fields are blank.

If I refresh, the refreshing seems to work fine - the references that I have manually altered prompt the usual message "if you have manually modified this reference, etc", but the Edit dialogue is still blank.

As to your question: no, I am not getting that message any more. I should also specify that the references are stored in the documents.
  • Try switching to the quick format insert citation dialog. This may well be a display bug--I don't think you should ever see this.
  • Bingo. Switching to the quick format menu fixes the problem. Thanks Adam.

I still think I will stick to the laptop for this once, as I have never used the quick dialogue and - although it seems pretty straightforward - I'd rather work with what I am already familiar with. I only have a couple of days to fix typos and references.

Still, it's good to know I'll be able to use the desktop for future zotero adventures. Thanks a lot!