Database clean up (SQL VACUUM)

Dear all,
I recently experienced a quite significant improvement in speed/performance with my Zotero database thanks to a simple manipulation, and I thought I share this because it might be of general interest.
I had a quite large database (approx. 600 MB in size) with more than 8000 entries, each with several tags, notes, and links. Throughout the years, working and searching through the database had become increasingly slower (particularly after reaching 6000 entries or so). I had tried several options to clean this or that, but with little impact.
For unrelated reasons, I eventually discovered the SQLite VACUUM command: I decided to give it a try, and therefore manually applied the linux bash command:

sqlite3 zotero.sqlite 'VACUUM;'

As a result, file size decreased by approx. 10% (540 MB). My impression is that searches, filtering, and database manipulations are now markedly faster.

Hopefully, someone could implement a VACUUM command call function directly into Zotero (e.g. it would be great to have a simple "Data clean up" button or options).

Thank you,
Marco
  • ftr
    edited December 16, 2014
    I support this proposal, as I have the same impression that Zotero slows down with time.
    In particular, I support the idea of a simple button or option which would limit the dangers when deep diving in a data base that you have nourrished for years.
    And it would also limit the need to know what a linux bash command is.