Reference localisation and status

Hello, I am a strong user of the famous Zotero standalone, for professional scientific purpose.

For me, zotero would be perfect but :

1 # - When we do a mouseover or a clic on a registered reference, it does not show where this ref is registered. I mean, in which folder collection or sub-collection ? This is really annoying. I know that such a function exist but I do not remmber how, anyway it is no user-friendly, no button anyway, and this should be automatic on mouseover.
Also, we do not never know if the citation is a duplicate entry : very annoying !
> On mouseover a cite, I would like the correpsonding folders to be higlighted.

2 # - The Zotero browser addon does not tell us if a reference is allready in Zotero, we have to check it manualy. :-(
I mean : the small icon in the adresse bar is not changing when we are browsing a reference that is allready in our zotero collection.
For example : under chrome bowser, before adding a bookmark, the star icon is white. But if later I come back on the same website, the stars is yellow, indicating that I have allready bookmarked this website : VERY usefull function !

THX
  • Yes, this the function I was talking about in #1. thanks.
    But, why this does not appear just on mouseover or clic ? = simple !
  • Mouseover = tooltip e.g. if name is longer than the column length
  • Indicating with the URL bar icon if you already have an item isn't going to work as it's too computation intensive to run every time a URL bar icon is displayed. Other than bookmarks, this couldn't just match against an existing URL.

What would generally be possible is to warn users when importing something that already exists. There is a discussions that describes what is and isn't currently available here:
    https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/42379/warn-user-if-browser-importing-citation-from-journal-website-that-already-exists-in-library/
    with a link to a more technical discussion about what making that generally available would entail. I don't think anyone of the core devs has time to implement that any time soon, though of course patches would be welcome.