Report ID: 1197701496

Hi, I've been trying to sync my Zotero App (on Mac OS X Mavericks) with the zotero server but I get the follow message:

---
The name ‘B.J. & A1 - Griffen,B.D . (2014) Trait-mediated fu…’ is too long to sync.

Search for the item with this name and shorten it. Note that the item may be in the trash or in a group library.

If you receive this message repeatedly for items saved from a particular site, you can report this issue in the Zotero Forums.

-----

I tried shortening the title but this didn't help so I actually deleted the item from my library and tried to sync it again to no avail. Instead, I get a conflict resolution message, with three options, local object (deleted), remote object (full citation and information on the article), and merged object (which is the same as the remote object). Selecting either of the local or remote object doesn't solve the problem, I just get the message that it is syncing and then the red i by the sync button reappears giving me the message above when I click on it...

I've searched for the article in both my app and the online synced library but I can't find it in either. If I select the local or remote object option for the conflict resolution, the article appears in my trash...and it reappears if I reselect that option after I delete it...

I believe I have the most up to date version of Zotero, 4.0.23 so I'm not sure what else I might try to fix this?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
  • have you emptied your Zotero trash? (also, note this was in an author field, not a title).
  • Also - any idea where you imported this item from? This looks like bad RIS, it's possible we can fix that on import.
  • I tried emptying the trash but it didn't help.

I saved a downloaded pdf from the publishers page and dragged it into zotero....but now I can't get rid of the article data (the attached pdf seems to have been deleted).
  • now I can't get rid of the article data
    What exactly do you mean by this? You're unable to delete the item from Zotero? As in, you can see it, but you can't remove it?
  • Kind of. I can delete it, then empty the trash can. However, when I try to sync again, I get the conflict resolution message above. When I select the local object (deleted) option, the article item reappears in my library.
  • Can you produce a debug log for a sync attempt where you have to resolve the conflict and the item reappears even though you select the deleted version? https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output (enable it before you start the sync)
  • Also, are you sure there is not another item in your library that the error message about the name being too long could refer to?
  • edited December 10, 2014
    Ok, sent the log. Here's the ID: D1355983838.

The deleted item didn't reappear this time (yet) but I still have syncing error message.

Ok, I think that was the problem. I found the long name was somehow input into the author field of another article - I missed it the first look through. I'm not sure how that happened...but I think it's ok now. Thanks for the help!
  • What's the error message?
  • The error message was the same one from above:

The name ‘B.J. & A1 - Griffen,B.D . (2014) Trait-mediated fu…’ is too long to sync.

Search for the item with this name and shorten it. Note that the item may be in the trash or in a group library.

If you receive this message repeatedly for items saved from a particular site, you can report this issue in the Zotero Forums.

But it's fine now, I figured it out, thanks for your help!
  • But it's fine now, I figured it out, thanks for your help!
    What was your solution? (for future reference)
  • I found the long name was somehow input into the author field of another article - I missed it the first look through. I deleted it and it's fine now. I'm not sure how the article name got input in the author field in the first place...
  • I'm not sure how the article name got input in the author field in the first place
    Well, it's a bit late now since you deleted the item, but the Library Catalog field for the item can give you an idea of where you imported the item from (along with the URL field).