tranferred library to new PC, PDFs will not download

I installed Zotero and transferred my Zotero library to a new machine. I added the Firefox plugin and off I went (or so I thought). My stand-alone Zotero works fine. I had to tell Firefox where my Zotero library was and now the address bar icon shows up to grab the info. The trouble is that while it saves the metadata and snapshot it does not save the PDF files. Any ideas?

Examples:
APL: scitation.aip.org/content/aip/journal/apl/105/22/10.1063/1.4902401
Nature: www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature13916.html
  • Obvious question: You do have access to the PDFs, yes?

Next, try with Zotero Standalone closed. Does that work?
  • Yes, I have access to the PDFs.
    No, it does not work with the standalone closed, i.e. it only saves the snapshot and metadata, but not the PDF
  • in the bubble that pops up when saving, is the PDF listed with a red cross or not at all?

What does it say when you hover over the URL bar icon as under 7 here?
    https://www.zotero.org/support/troubleshooting_translator_issues

The above URLs are as you see them, right? You didn't take out any proxy information or so?
  • Oh, also, please check that the "automatically attach PDFs" preference is checked in the general tab of the Zotero preferences.

And see if you get a PDF here:
    http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13204-014-0383-5
  • Thanks for the help. To answer your questions:
    1) the pop-up bubble does not list PDF at all
    2) hovering shows 'AIP' and 'Nature Pub. Group' for my two links above
    3) The URLs show up as-written
    4) automatically attach PDF is checked
    5) Magically, it grabs the PDF from your Springer Link site, but still not from the other sites.

I noticed that my Zotero extension is 4.0.24.1 while my standalone Zotero says 4.0.23 (and clicking update responded I was up to date).
  • OK, I'll take a closer look at those two, see if I can reproduce this tonight. Versions are correct, 24 isn't released as Standalone yet.
  • Quick update: We're able to reproduce this and working on a fix, not sure how fast that's going to be.
  • Should be fixed now. Update your translators via Preferences -> General -> Update Now, restart browser, and try again.
  • Great! Seems to be working properly now.
    .. another struggle I have is how to get the supplementary information to download as well.

Thanks again for the help!
  • Have you enabled the "attachSupplementary" hidden preference? https://www.zotero.org/support/preferences/hidden_preferences#translator_preferences (will only work in Firefox for now)
  • Yes, in the standalone Zotero preferences I have:
    extensions.zotero.translators.attachSupplementary; true

It does not download supplementary PDF or xls files, e.g. from Nature:
    www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature13916.html
    or
    www.nature.com/nature/journal/v516/n7529/full/nature13976.html
  • yeah, that will only work with Standalone closed and the preference set in Zotero for Firefox. (Note that this will save to the same database as Standalone, so these would be in Standalone next time you open it).
  • I closed both Zotero and Firefox. Waited. Restarted Firefox. The supp. PDF and xls files were not saved.

Do I need to edit Zotero's preferences in Firefox as well?
  • edited December 3, 2014
    Do I need to edit Zotero's preferences in Firefox as well?
    correct. preferences are not shared between standalone and add-on.
  • Sorry, I should have tried it. I just did and it works if it is set in Zotero's preferences in Firefox.

Thanks