Anthropologists/Archaeologists--styles please

I've looked over the new styles in 1.5 and still none for anthropology or archaeology journals. Please, could you toss a few styles our way? American Antiquity, Current Anthropology, Journal of Physical Anthropology?
  • Keep in mind: most styles are developed using unpaid labor; someone steps up and offers to help. So if you're going to ask for these syles, you need to be willing to do a minimal amount of work to make it easier for people to do this.

In short, links please?
  • I'd be happy to do whatever I can. I wish I had more to contribute to the open source movement. Here are some links, some scrolling down is required. These styles would be a good start. If anyone does this, let me thank you in advance!

American Antiquity: http://www.saa.org/Publications/StyleGuide/styFrame.html

Current Anthropology: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/page/ca/instruct.html

American Journal of Physical Anthropology: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/28130/home/ForAuthors.html

Journal of Archaeological Science http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622854/authorinstructions
  • edited October 5, 2008
    Style for the Journal of Archaeological Science tossed. See the style repository.
  • Does anyone care to step up and format a few of these? I tried and with the current editor, it is beyond me. Sorry for the potential repeat Rintze.
  • I'm really busy these days. But one thing that you could do that would be really helpful is to find the existing style that most closely matches the ones you want, and then itemize exactly the differences. That's more time-consuming than the actual code issues.
  • Ok, I'm also really busy right now, but I will try to get this done shortly. Your Bruce right? Thanks for all your great work here! You guys are doing an outstanding job.

Have you thought about making a really simple to use (not to make) WYSIWYG editor that anyone could use? Then even people like me could do this for ourselves and not suck your time from coding more important things.
  • Yes, I'm Bruce.

Re: a style editor, yes, it's been discussed a lot. There's a working version that someone here came up with here, and I've also written about some ideas.
  • AJPA is an author-date version of the CSE (council of science editors) style.
  • edited October 23, 2008
    Working on a style for AJPA...
  • I uploaded a first draft of AJPA, which I based on the CSE style. As the style guide doesn't give many examples, and I don't have access to the journal's articles, the style still may contain some errors. There are also some things I couldn't get right in CSL:

- the pages label shouldn't be plural ("pp.") for a page range. (I already brought up this issue on the xbiblio-devel mailing list)
    - The letters that distinguish citations of the same author in the same year shouldn't be separated by a space. E.g. it should be "(Hogue 2001a,b)" instead of "(Hogue 2001a, b)". I couldn't find an option in CSL to get rid of that space.
  • Thanks Rintze, I have some information for American Antiquity here. Its based on the American Sociological Association, which is pretty close.

et al. rules:
    no et al. in references cited, list all authors
    for intext citations use et al. starting with 3 or more authors

American Sociology Style
    Ambrose, Stanley H. 1990. “Preparation and characterization of bone and tooth collagen for isotopic analysis.” Journal of Archaeological Science 17:431― 451.

American Antiquity Style
    Ashmore, Wendy
    1991 Site-Planning Principles and Concepts of Directionality Among the Ancient
    Maya. Latin American Antiquity 2:199–226.

Journal Entry: remove quotations, remove period after year, place year on second line and indent as per example, replace em-dash between page numbers with normal dash, Journal title should be italicized.

American Sociology Style
    Ambrose, Stanley H, and Lynette Norr. 1993. “Experimental evidence for the relationship of the carbon isotope ratios of whole diet and dietary protein to those of bone collagen and carbonate.” P. 1―37 in Prehistoric Human Bone: Archaeology at the Molecular Level, edited by J. B Lambert and G. Grupe. Berlin: Springer-Verlag.

American Antiquity Style
    Kohl, Philip L.
    1987 The Use and Abuse of World Systems Theory: The Case of the Pristine
    West Asian State. In Advances in Archaeological Method and Theory, vol. 11,
    edited by Michael. B. Schiffer, pp. 1–35. Academic Press, San Diego.

Book Chapter: remove quotation marks, place year on second line and indent, move page numbers to after the editors names and add a period. Note volume goes between book name and editors. Switch publisher and city and use a comma between them, book name should be in italics.

American Sociology Style
    Aten, Lawrence E. 1983. Indians of the Upper Texas Coast. New York: Academic Press.

American Antiquity Style
    Morales Padrón, Fransisco
    1971 Historia del descubrimiento y conquista de América. 2nd ed. Editora
    Nacional, Madrid.

Book: move date down to second line, indent, remove period. Switch city and publisher, use comma instead of colon, book title should be in italics.

Included below are examples of other specific formats if you have questions not covered above:

3.9.3 Edited or compiled book (editor or compiler as "author")
    McHugh, William P. (editor)
    1977 The Teaching of Archaeology. Southern Illinois University Press, Carbondale.

3.9.6 Book or other item, no author
    SCS Engineers
    1986 A Survey of Household Hazardous Waste and Related Collection Programs.
    SCS Engineers, Reston, Virginia.

3.9.7 Multivolume set
    Biggar, Henry P. (editor)
    1929 The Works of Samuel de Champlain, vol. III. The Champlain Society,
    Toronto.

3.9.11 Article in a magazine, no author
    The Indian Homeland
    1991 U.S. News and World Report. 8 July:27–28.

3.9.16 Paper presented at a meeting
    Adams, Jenny
    2002 The Technology of Ritual Behavior. Paper presented at the 67th Annual
    Meeting of the Society for American Archaeology, Denver.

Elston, Robert G., Jonathan O. Davis, and G. Townsend
    1976 An Intensive Archeological Investigation of the Hawkins Land Exchange
    Site. Nevada Archeological Survey. Submitted to USDA Forest Service, Contract
    No. 3905320. Copies available from Nevada Archeological Survey, Reno.
    -
    3.9.19 Dissertation or thesis
    Fritz, Gayle J.
    1986 Prehistoric Ozark Agriculture: The University of Arkansas Rockshelter
    Collections. Unpublished Ph.D. dissertation, Department of Anthropology,
    University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.
  • Well darn, I can make it keep the indents and italics.. please look at the following link:http://www.saa.org/Publications/StyleGuide/styFrame.html

Thank you to anyone who does this.. this is the style I need for my dissertation.
  • err I can't make the indents appear correctly in this forum, I still need this style for my diss, granted I don't have to defend until the New Year.. but it would be one less thing for me to worry about. And this is the archaeological standard, so all archaeologists could use zotero too..
  • If I find the time I'll look into it. Give it a week or so.
  • edited November 2, 2008
    @ossified65: The "indents" issue you note is I think much more complicated, and likely not supported by CSL at the moment. If I understand correctly, if you have multiple entries from the same author, then the author is dropped from all but the first. I doubt there's a way to do this now, though we have discussed adding support for such "grouping" functionality.

So for that, expect that you may have to do some hand-editing when you're done with your thesis. That's not that big a deal, though.
  • After looking a bit through the (rather tricky) SAA style guide, I'm not sure I can implement a fully functional style. I'll give it a try, but I can't promise that I'll deliver a style soon.
  • It is tricky, but thank you very much Rintze.. I don't know why they made it so complicated.
  • Is there any way to get a style added that is based on the American Anthropological Association Publications Style Guide (http://www.aaanet.org/publications/style_guide.pdf)?? This citation style guide is used for all of the association's publications, none of which are included in Zotero's newly available styles (e.g., American Anthropologist, Cultural Anthropology, American Ethnologist, etc.). The AAA style guide is based loosely on Chicago Style but has significant differences that take ages to change in a created bibliography. I have almost no developer skills and have been pulling my hair out to create a new Zotero citation style based on this guide. To date I have had NO success. I want to switch to Zotero 100 percent but cannot without a proper citation style. I am going crazy with this. Can anyone help?
  • edited November 17, 2008
    Jahardin, using csledit.xul (type chrome://zotero/content/tools/csledit.xul in your address bar), select a few records, and preview all available styles to find the one that matches most closely. If you can enumerate the key differences with Chicago or whatever style is most similar, I can have a stab at creating the CSL for AAA.
  • See this topic, which discusses a wrinkle that needs to be fixed before we can get these styles to work.
  • I have done a style for the Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute - or at least as close as I can get. Like AAA, JRAI bibliographies don't repeat authors, but I haven't been able to overcome this.

For more obscure types of citations it will just follow the ASA format.

I will submit it as soon as I have got access to SVN or I can email the file to anyone who wants to put it up for me. Just contact me through this forum.
  • As a follow up to my comment immediately above:

I can get the author substitute to work in the preview screen on Firefox, but it doesn't export to Microsoft Word for some reason.

I have also found some problems with disambiguation which are common to all author-date styles on Zotero and seem to arise out of problems with this bit of CSL code:
    <option name="disambiguate-add-year-suffix" value="true"/>

In brief, this means that in-text citations and the bibliography won't distinguish between an individual as editor and author in the same year. For example, Feuchtwang edits a collection in 2004 and also has a chapter in that collection. If you want to cite both the citation will be (Feuchtwang 2004, 2004).

Also, if citing more than one unpublished work by the same author there is no disambiguation. If being used for a 'mulit-citiation' only one 'n.d.' appears due to collapse option:
    <option name="collapse" value="year"/>

If anyone wants to see the .csl file and see if they can solve problems, just let me know.
  • Can you post the csl file somewhere? Maybe a 'works in progress' page for CSL's?

If everything is working except the formatting of the multiple author references, it would be very useful to have this available anyway. The multiple author references could be fixed manually after bibliography generation, since there often are not many of these.
  • It's been in the style repository for a while now. You can install it from this page:

http://www.zotero.org/styles

The JRAI style also has it's own thread:

http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/4924/journal-of-the-royal-anthropological-institute
  • I thought you were referring to American Antiquity.
  • I played around with the online simple style generator to see what would be involved in creating an American Antiquity or American Anthropologist style.

I ran into 2 issues I can't find out how to do in the CSL docs for Zotero.

How do you insert a linefeed or newline into part of the bibliographic style? You need a newline after the author and before the date.

Related to this, is there someway to insert an indent into a part of the bibliographic style? After the date gets a newline, it should be indented to the level of the rest of the hanging indent.
  • You won't get very far trying to do AAA with the style generator. To avoid re-inventing the wheel, have a look at this thread:

http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/4691/citation-style-help-needed-anthropology-aaa/#Item_10
  • I tried the style generator just to get the basic idea of what the different XML parts were. Then was trying to edit it manually.

I just tried the AAA style at the link you provided. It looks very good. It would be helpful if this was more easily available to use and improve via the Zotero site. It should not be too hard to modify this for America Antiquity.
  • I have an ugly but functional workaround to the no-tabs problem. You can take a look at the results at http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton/files/zotero/. I modified the American Anthropologist style to add "@@" at the 2 places that need tabs. Just do a find/replace, adjust the hanging indent and tab settings in the word processor to look good (I did a tab at 0.5" and hanging indent at 1.0").

I also modified the American Anthropologist style into an American Antiquity style. I don't know if I caught all the differences, but I think I got most of them. They are not much different.

I posted PDF examples of output from each. I simply selected the formats and dragged them into OpenOffice Write. I did not try to create in-text citations and make a bibliography.
  • Here is a nicer version of the American Anthropologist and American Antiquity styles workaround. It is a further tweak of the American Anthropologist style created by Mark Dingemanse. I've posted the styles and PDF's of example output (from OO) at

http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton/files/zotero

I used spaces in front of the date, so there is no need for a search and replace. Using spaces is not a good or as portable as indents, but it looks pretty good anyway. There is still the extra line feed with subsequent authors (i.e., no author name), but this can be removed manually.

So this is not perfect, but it seems pretty serviceable. Modifying CSL to get this right is complicated I guess. And with efforts toward getting 1.5 to beta, it may be that the devs need to have other priorities at the moment (I'm just guessing, but know what it is like trying to get a beta out).

So here is a question. How good does a style need to be to be posted to the SVN so that it can be accessed more easily by Zotero users?

If this version of Mark's style is close enough to be useful until updates to CSL can allow it to be improved, is it OK to post? I don't mind doing it (though I'd need to get access) and I don't mind if someone else with SVN access wants to post it.

Michael