Standalone unusable after uninstalling firefox

I had some problems with firefox (it was completely freezing on startup) so I uninstalled and reinstalled. I ended up uninstalling everything including the profile and zotero file in the roaming profile because a simple reinstall did not fix. I also thought that the problem might be zotero-related as it had started to freeze after problems with a particular reference.

I DID NOT uninstall zotero standalone. However, I am guessing that the zotero folder I deleted must have some connection with standalone, as I now can not get standalone to work. Every time I try to launch it, it asks me to choose a user profile - which I have done, but then it does not remember it, and I have the same prompt again.

In firefox, I have tried reinstalling zotero, and a webpage confirms that I have done this, but there is no zotero icon, and no sign of it in extensions.

What can I do to get this fixed? Uninstall zotero standalone too? How can I make sure I have deleted everything I need to?

My zotero directory is stored outside of the firefox or standalone profiles, so is intact.
  • When I try to reinstall zotero for firefox, it works fine, brings up the icon etc. When I point to my zotero directory ( which is on my c drive separately), I have to restart firefox. When I restart, it prompts me to choose a firefox profile (doesn't remember the one I just created or the default option) and then when I get onto the browswer, zotero is no longer installed.
  • The same things is happening with zotero standalone. Every time I point to the storage location, I have to restart, and then it is asking me to choose a zotero profile, but then doesn't remember anything I still can't access my files.
  • Unless you have an easy suggestion for how to solve this, I would like to uninstall everything that could be causing a problem and install again as I seem to be missing parts of my profile which are necessary for operating either z for firefox or standalone. How do I do this, and restore my zotero directory and files?
  • Try deleting the Zotero Standalone application data directory at its default location https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data#default_locations (it would be the directories up from where that page points, i.e. the "Zotero" directory with the capital Z). Make backups first!
  • It is not there. I think I deleted this, thinking it was the zotero for firefox extension - when I was trying to reinstall firefox and z for firefox. [I'm confused as to why this would be stored under appdata if it is the standalone files]

So I can only get so far as:

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\

No zotero folder at that point. What can I do?
  • could you take a screenshot of the prompt to choose a profile, upload it to a free image hosting site (dropbox, imgur) and link to it here, please?
  • It's the dialogue box shown here:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles

Firefox Choose User Profile

When I open zotero standalone, the same dialogue box appears - only this time it is headed: zotero - choose user profile. But the appearance is exactly the same.
  • So you end up creating a new profile? Where do you save it? Are you saying that after you save the new profile and start Zotero, the next time you start it you get the same dialog with no available profiles?
  • Also, how are you starting Zotero Standalone? From a shortcut? If so, try starting it directly from the executable in C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero

I'm surprised that you would have nothing under AppData relating to Zotero (maybe check Local in addition to Roaming)
  • I've got nothing under appdata because I deleted it this morning, thinking that I was clearing the slate for a reinstall of firefox and zotero for firefox. I was wrong to do that obviously - I think that is what may be causing all the problems. I also deleted the firefox folder from the roaming location.
  • I'm not starting standalone from a shortcut.
  • See my question above. What exactly happens and where are you saving things?
  • OK - I have the files that you are talking about under local - see file paths below:

C:\Users\cm582\AppData\Local\Zotero\Zotero\Profiles

C:\Users\cm582\AppData\Local\Zotero Standalone

I presume you mean me to delete the first Zotero folder of the first string? Can you confirm?
  • No, don't delete anything at this point. Can you answer my previous question?
  • I can't save anything in the normal way because zotero is not staying installed in firefox (see posts above).

If I drag a pdf into standalone, it saves in the default location. I can not change to my own directory location (see above posts).
  • Let's just focus on Standalone. I'll repeat what I asked above
    So you end up creating a new profile? Where do you save it? Are you saying that after you save the new profile and start Zotero, the next time you start it you get the same dialog with no available profiles?
    This is in response to your screenshot of an empty profile manager dialog, it has nothing to do with saving items in Zotero.
  • OK I understand. Yes that's exactly what I am saying. I am saving in the default location, and/or tried to use the default user option, but whatever I do, there is no sign of it when I start firefox again.
  • I can't even start zotero in firefox because when I go back into firefox past the choose user profile box, zotero is no longer installed. I have tried this repeatedly with the same result.
  • If I close firefox without doing anything with zotero standalone, I still get the prompt when I restart it.
  • Again, let's completely ignore Firefox for the time being and consider only Zotero Standalone. Can you confirm that you get the same behavior with Zotero Standalone? If so, close Standalone and delete the two directories you mention above in AppData\Local. Then, open Standalone again. It will ask you to create a profile. Do so, but save the profile to a folder on the desktop. Try restarting Standalone, what happens?
  • So deleting the whole string from the first Zotero AND Zotero Standalone?
  • i.e. not just the profile folder.
  • Can you confirm before I delete anything else accidentally?
  • Yes, but obviously make backups
  • I have deleted files as instructed above - but am now getting the following message 'problem with shortcut' even though I don't think I am using a shortcut (I'm searching for zotero standalone through the start menu). See dialogue box at link below:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PiMiy_u9lH4ppLLk_oMN4IWkovGyMLLJKMjGiYY44YI/edit?usp=sharing
  • I don't think I am using a shortcut (I'm searching for zotero standalone through the start menu)
    That's a shortcut. Anything that isn't "zotero.exe" directly is a shortcut. The executable is typically located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero Standalone It's possible that you installed it without administrator rights (cancelled the dialog asking for administrator rights during setup), in which case, I think it would have ended up in C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Local\Zotero Standalone. That would fit with everything we've seen so far.

Do you have administrator rights on the computer you're installing on?

If so, I would suggest restoring the "Zotero Standalone" folder to the AppData\Local folder that you deleted (assuming you made a backup), then uninstalling the application via Control Panel and re-installing it with administrator rights (i.e. don't cancel the prompt during install). If you didn't make a backup, you can install it first without administrator rights, then proceed with uninstall. Installing-uninstalling is necessary to remove any leftover shortcuts that would point to the wrong location.

If you don't have administrator rights, then just reinstall Zotero Standalone the same way you did before (i.e. cancelling the administrator rights prompt). I'll have to try to reproduce the behavior you're seeing before I can assist you further with your profile issues. It's possible that this has something to do with the way Zotero is installed and that type of installation has not been very thoroughly tested.
  • I don't have administrator rights so have reinstalled as above. The problem must be something to do with a file that I deleted the other day. It has worked fine until I tried to uninstall firefox and zotero for firefox.

The best thing for me now would be for you to give me a fail safe way of deleting everything off my machine that might interfere with a clean install of both firefox and zotero standalone. Would that not be the simplest way? - as I have my zotero directory backed up and ready to use.

Thank you for your help with this. Getting desperate to be functioning again.
  • I assume you tried creating a new profile and saving it to your Desktop and it didn't persist?

For Firefox, I would try https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-to-fix-preferences-wont-save#w_reset-firefox-to-fix-the-problem After the reset you should get a persistent profile. If you don't there's something really strange going on with your system. You can, of course, try to completely remove Firefox and reinstall it, but I think that's unlikely to help. Standalone would be very similar to Firefox (to remove everything you would remove Zotero directories under AppData), but perhaps try it with Firefox first.
  • Yes, I have tried saving a profile to the desktop but same problem.

So I'm now trying to follow your instructions above - I can't reset firefox because there is no firefox reset option when there is a problem with the profile [see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=749700]. I have uninstalled but will need to get my IT dept to delete my user data and settings folder as it will not delete! [guess this may be to do with user privileges although no pop up appears].

Will be back tomorrow ...