Syncing error ID 1271939768 - Problem with attachment

Hi all,

Every time zotero tries to sync (either automatic or manual) I get the red exclamation mark with this error message:
Error for operation 'open' for /d/Fer/Zotero/storage/9VM496ZZ/Li et al. - 2005 - Synthesis and properties of processible copolymer .pdf

The pdf file in the local database is missing, but it is fine in zotero.org

Regards
  • edited November 28, 2014
    That's an odd path. Is that some sort of network share?

Otherwise (or in addition), I'd guess that this is due to security software on your system (AppArmor, SELinux, etc.). Try disabling it or whitelisting the Zotero data directory so that Firefox can access it. If security software is to blame, there's probably an alert logged somewhere.
  • Hi Dan,

This is an ntfs partition mounted on linux. I will try that (disabling SELinux) next week, now I'm going home for the weekend; but it was working before.

I will be back on Monday, regards,

Fernando
  • There've been various reports with issues with mounted NTFS partitions on Linux (e.g., https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/41612/file-attachment-sync-error-file-permissions/). Generally some sort of configuration problem. Search the forums for "ntfs" for others.
  • (Oh, well, including from you.)
  • Mmm ... may be the best thing would be to move zotero to a linux partition. This amounts to duplicate storage (the ntfs partition is because dual boot), and making room elsewhere.

It is not a problem with permissions, I'm sure of that. Just this file is missing and zotero cannot do anything about that.

I will meditate over the weekend.

Thanks a lot!

Fernando
  • Just this file is missing and zotero cannot do anything about that.
    Well, it's not that it's missing. Something is preventing Zotero's normal file operations from working. Can't tell you what, but it's true that Zotero can't do anything about it.
  • Is missing in that particular machine (my main work machine), when I double click on that attachment zotero tells me that cannot find the file, and indeed it is not there. In the zotero server and my other computers it is ok.
  • edited November 28, 2014
    Right, but that's not the issue. Normally Zotero would simply sync the file down in that situation. Instead it's getting an error, so something is interfering with its normal operations (lying about the presence of a file, not allowing a standard file operation, etc.).
  • If you provide a Debug ID for a sync attempt that produces the error I might be able to provide more details, but that's about it.
  • OK, understood. Will see on Monday.

Cheers
  • Hi Dan,

Problem solved. The question was that the folder 9VM496ZZ (in /d/Fer/Zotero/storage/9VM496ZZ/, see my first post), was somehow converted to an empty file. I deleted the file, recreated that folder (and other four in the same condition) and syncing went smoothly.

I do not think that zotero was the cause of that problem; not sure, but I suspect of ntfs-3g. I moved the entire zotero directory to a linux partition, just in case.

I hope that things will be more reliable now.

Regards,

Fernando