Ibid not being applied in MLA

I hope this issue has not been covered... I spent a week trying to find the answer. :(

My issue is that "Ibid" is not showing up when I repeat a citation. This is in the main text, not a footnote. My example text is below. I am writing in Scrivener and putting in the scannable cites. After I do the RTF Scan in Zotero Standalone, I open the new version (with citations) in Libre Office. My citing style is MLA version 7 (date 09-21-14).

What am I doing wrong?

Paul Oppenheimer, in The Birth of the Modern Mind, argues that “[m]odern thought and literature begin with the invention of the sonnet” { | Oppenheimer, 1989 | 3 | |zu:692935:ETUT7XMV}. Although the sonnet form is “too often assumed to be the sign of aesthetic and political conservatism” { | Oppenheimer, 1989 | 63 | |zu:692935:ETUT7XMV}, the sonnet’s double-voiced design gives the form an unusual flexibility.
  • edited November 25, 2014
    Simple answer: MLA 7 doesn't use ibid.
    What makes you think it should?

(edit: I assume that's just a typo and you know this, but those markers are for ODF scan. They won't work at all using RTF)
  • This is for a dissertation. I looked at a dissertation published last year in my department and they definitely used ibid.
  • The MLA style manual doesn't, though. I don't think they ever have for in-text citations, and they removed ibid. for footnotes in the 6th edition. The 7th edition doesn't have a footnoted style anymore.

There is not a single major English-language style that uses ibid for in text citation. I've only ever seen this in continental Europe.
  • Thanks! I thought I was doing something wrong...