DOIs for Reports and other item types

DOIs for reports have been mentioned before:

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/35088/doi-translator-or-something-else-is-not-working-properly-bugid-1710108628/

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/26097/citing-society-of-automotive-engineers-technical-papers/

Do we have an ETA for Zotero 4.2? I am starting to miss having a DOI field for reports. For example:
http://www.oecd-ilibrary.org.prox.lib.ncsu.edu/energy/world-energy-outlook-2014_weo-2014-en

If possible, I would say add DOIs for all item types. I have come across conference papers and book chapters with DOIs.
  • They'll be added to all item types:
    https://github.com/ajlyon/zotero-bits/issues/1

No ETA, though, unfortunately. Not this year.
  • @adamsmith: Isn't there an intermediate solution? Save doi a suitable form in extra?
  • You can probably do {:DOI: 10.abcdef1234}
    in extra (and citation styles would likely pick that up), but I don't want to promise that we'll actually migrate that.
  • edited November 23, 2014
    Thanks, zuphilip for the tip and adamsmith for the syntax to add DOI to "extra" field. I won't be using it, though, since I have the Zotero Scholar Citations addon using that field. Just to confirm this method works, I added {:DOI: 10.1787/weo-2014-en} to the extra field for the report linked in my previous email. The formatted output, using the Journal of Air & Waste Management style, in Word was:

IEA. 2014. World Energy Outlook 2014. Paris, France: International Energy Agency. doi:10.1787/weo-2014-en.

So, what else can the extra field be used for? I have never thought of it before.
  • You can store multiple things in the Extra field; just store them on separate lines. I, for example, use Zotero Scholar Citations on the first line of the field, but then store additional "real" fields like {:DOI:} {:edition:} that lack them and personal fields (e.g., abbreviations for use in Zotfile renaming, additional database identifiers, etc.) on additional lines.

For example, a book chapter Extra field might look like this for me:
    Citations: 00102
    Chapter: 4
    WOS: 10022391102021
    {:DOI: 10.abcdef12345}

The Extra field is intended for just that, extra data. PMIDs and PMCIDs are stored there. Because of the way MLZ works, the citation processor can pull out official CSL variables that are wrapped in the {:variable: } structure. When Zotero fields are updated with the release of 4.2, I will have to move these variables to their actual locations, but, for now, that is better than having to add DOIs to references manually.
  • bwiernik, that is great information. Thanks.

I noticed that Zotero Scholar Citations (ZSC) is adding the citation count on the same line as some other information coming from the database that was used to create the item. For example, the Extra field for one of my items is:
    00784 PMID: 17332409

If I insert a line feed after the 00784, would that be okay and not break ZSC's ability to update the citation count? In other words, is ZSC's information actually a field in itself and it does not matter where or how it is placed inside the Extra field?
  • (I suspect it'll work, but you should actually ask the developer to change that given that it'll break current, officially supported, PMID/PMCID recognition, not just hacks like the DOI issue).
  • Oh, did I misunderstand what bwiernik meant when he said "just store them on separate lines"? So the PMID/PMCID cannot be on subsequent lines and yet become part of the auto-cite? I think I need a full tutorial on the Extra field :)

I left a review+note for ZSC:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/zotero-scholar-citations/reviews/
  • no, you understood bwiernik correctly - but it needs to be on a new line and it sounds like the plugin currently breaks that.
  • My personal branch for ZSC includes the necessary line breaks. I'll submit a pull request to the developer.
  • Thanks, bwiernik. On my part, I have sent an email to the developer requesting him to look at this thread.
  • Hi All,

I've just submitted a new 1.8.8 version of the Zotero Scholar Citations to addons.mozilla.org, it should become available soon. Based on your suggestions, I've implemented the following behaviour (assume 00000 is the old citations and 12345 is the new citations):

"" -> "12345"

"00000" -> "12345"

"PMID: 17332409" -> 12345
    PMID: 17332409"

"00000 PMID: 17332409" -> "12345

"00000PMID: 17332409" -> "12345

"00000
    PMID: 17332409" -> "12345

The rationale is:

- Support the multiline format for storing multiple variables in the Extra field.

- Do not make breaking format changes requiring an update of the whole library. This is especially important for users who don't have any other data in the Extra field except for the number of citations.

- Automatically migrate from the previous format with just a space (or multiple spaces) between the number of citations and other data to the new format.

Cheers,
    Anton
  • Anton, thanks for promptly taking care of this! I updated my version and it looks to be working the way it should.

bwiernik, thanks for the branch and submitting the pull request.
  • Great, I'm glad it works for you!