Zotero icon vanishes after several hits

Zotero icon displays in Chrome normally but then fails to show up again after half a dozen or so hits on usually compliant sites (e.g., Amazon.com, WorldCat). So I deleted the Zotero extension for Chrome, and then reinstalled it. That fixed the problem for half a dozen hits and downloads -- but then the icon failed to show up in subsequent hits.
  • By "hits" do you mean page loads? Can we get an example URL of a page that does not produce a Zotero icon?
  • Here's an example:

http://firstsearch.oclc.org.ezp3.lib.umn.edu/WebZ/FSFETCH?fetchtype=fullrecord:sessionid=fsapp7-37797-i2seqsmk-l12saj:entitypagenum=29:0:recno=1:resultset=3:format=FI:next=html/record.html:bad=error/badfetch.html:entitytoprecno=1:entitycurrecno=1:numrecs=1

By the way, this is on a different computer, also running Chrome. So the problem is not computer-specific.

On this machine New York Times articles fail to display icon also.

On the other hand, URLs at Amazon.com work normally on this machine -- with icon displayed as it should.

Mainly I need to revive the WorldCat/FirstSearch icon display reliably.
  • does restarting Chrome revive it?
    Restarting Chrome and Zotero?
  • Not at first, no; but then yes for Amazon.com and (more important, now) WorldCat/FirstSearch -- though not yet for New York Times. Generally unreliable behavior -- transient?
  • Icon has now vanished again from WorldCat/FirstSearch URLs -- after maybe half a dozen successes.
  • edited November 21, 2014
    could you please generate a debug ID from the chrome connector that covers reloading that page and post it here?
    https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output#zotero_connectors_chrome_and_safari

edit: actually start by disabling all other Chrome extensions. Make sure you can still reproduce the problem. Submit the debug ID with all extensions disabled.
  • Debug ID, not Report ID
  • This is the "Error report" number.

The log should report a half dozen or so successful icon displays, followed by a failure. This is the typical pattern now: after launch, some success, then a failure.
  • This is the "Error report" number: 711017049
  • See the link in adamsmith's post above. We need a debug log, not an error log. The ID for that will start with a D.
  • "View output" shows blank page. "Submit to Zotero Server" button is grayed out.
  • Meanwhile, belated pop-up blocker error message shows up in URL bar. Same thing happened yesterday. Unfortunately clicking on button to prevent pop-up blocking for WorldCat then makes no difference: problem persists (Zotero icon fails to appear on next URL selected).
  • are you really sure that <i>after you enable logging</i> and reload a supported page, the output is blank? That would be highly unusual and point to significant problems.
    Also, did you see my note about other extensions?
  • Yes, all other extensions are disabled.

Output is blank -- but what would it record? There is no Zotero icon to click on, so no action takes place there. Apparently the system isn't logging the previous steps (browsing WorldCat), and there are no Zotero steps to log.
  • Here are 40 lines just recently logged -- although maybe not relevant to the problem: D275597238
  • For what it's worth, both these pop-ups are allowed in the Chrome Content setting menu:

[*.]firstsearch.oclc.org.ezp2.lib.umn.edu

[*.]firstsearch.oclc.org.ezp1.lib.umn.edu

But not http://firstsearch.oclc.org.ezp3.lib.umn.edu/ -- which is apparently the current server address.

So I just enabled that address for pop-ups, and logged in afresh to the page -- but that made no difference: still no icon.
  • pretty sure you can forget about the pop-up blockers. Dan - anything in the debug by chance?
  • That Debug ID is from Standalone. We need a Debug ID from Chrome for a page load. adamsmith linked directly to the relevant instructions above.