Synchronisation failure, report id 1863789941

Hello,

while synchronising my library, I'm getting the following error:

Component returned failure code: 0x80520008 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ALREADY_EXISTS) [nsIFile.create]

It seems that error occurs during the synchronisation of the files rather than than in the records metadata.

From what I can follow from the user interface, I can't provide any further details; I don't see anything suspicious. I have created a report with id 1863789941.

Thank you,

Michal
  • could you report a debugID https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output#debug_output_logging (different from the report ID you provide above) for a failed sync?

@Dan - this is the third report of this in relatively short time. Any chance there could be something more systematic at work?
  • D23805327

Thank you,

Michal
  • (3)(+0000000): Finished download of /home/[...]/.zotero/zotero/[...].default/zotero/tmp/PTH7JVP9.tmp

(3)(+0000009): Moving download file PTH7JVP9.tmp into attachment directory as '.html'

(3)(+0000001): Path is /home/[...]/.zotero/zotero/[...].default/zotero/storage/PTH7JVP9/.html

(3)(+0000000): /home/[...]/.zotero/zotero/[...].default/zotero/storage/PTH7JVP9/.html

(1)(+0000002): 'toString' => function(...){...}
    'message' => "Component returned failure code: 0x80520008 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ALREADY_EXISTS) [nsIFile.create]"
    'result' => 2152857608
    'name' => "NS_ERROR_FILE_ALREADY_EXISTS"
    'filename' => "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/file.js"
    'lineNumber' => 326
    'columnNumber' => 0
    'inner' => [object Null] {}
    'data' => [object Null] {}
    'stack' => "Zotero.File</this.createShortened@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/file.js:326:4
    _processDownload@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage.js:1506:3
    Zotero.Sync.Storage</this.processDownload@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage.js:1222:17
    obj._downloadFile/Zotero.Sync.Storage.ZFS</listener<.onStop@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage/zfs.js:914:25
    Zotero.Sync.Storage.StreamListener.prototype._onStop@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage/streamListener.js:225:4
    Zotero.Sync.Storage.StreamListener.prototype.onStateChange@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage/streamListener.js:123:3
    I think most of the others were the 260-character issue on Windows that's been fixed. This is on Linux, and may be due to a bug in the recent file sync filename changes — I'm not sure why it's trying to name that file as ".html", since it does in fact have a filename. I'll take a look, though it might take a day or two. In the meantime, if you want you can paste 'PTH7JVP9' into the Zotero search bar in "All Fields & Tags" mode to find the problematic attachment, delete it, and empty the trash. You can then readd it from the original location if necessary.
  • (@Dan: I was referring to:
    https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/41544/using-zotero-at-college/#Item_32
    and
    https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/5301/22/zotfile-zotero-plugin-to-rename-move-and-attach-pdfs-send-them-to-ipad-extract-pdf-annotations/#Item_13

both from November. From what I can tell, the last time the "file already exists" error was reported before that was 3 years back.

3 is obviously not a terribly high number and this sound different than the ft-cache issue in the first thread I link to, but wanted to flag it, esp. if you hadn't seen that it also came up in the ZotFile thread.)
  • Actually, Michal, if you look at that attachment, can you open the attached file? If you right-click and choose Show File, what files are in the directory that shows up (which should be the 'storage/PTH7JVP9' directory within your Zotero data directory.

There's something strange going on here — possibly because of ZotFile, though I only say that because the two reports of this were from ZotFile users.
  • edited November 17, 2014
    The file is apparently a link to a library catalogue (https://vufind.mzk.cz/Record/MZK01-000622342). I can't open the file - I'm getting "The attached file could not be found.", the same when I try to choose Show file.

I haven't changed the file since I have created the record a year ago. The problem with synchronisation started about a week ago; before I was able to fully sync my complete library, ie. including this file.

The file itself isn't important to me and can be simply deleted, but I guess it's good to wait until you sort out the problem.

And yes, I'm using Zotfile, but I don't think it was used to rename or manipulate this file.

Thank you for your answers and your effort!
  • Any news with this problem?

Thank you!

Michal
  • Did you check for a storage/PTH7JVP9 directory within your Zotero data directory?