Software update not working

I am running zotero 4.0.22 on ubuntu 14.04. I installed it from the zotero website, not from any repo. Zotero constantly tells me that an update is available, but when I say to install it, it says "Connecting to the update server..." and then nothing happens.
  • anything unusual about your internet connection? Proxy? Behind a company firewall?
  • I don't think so. University... but no restrictions that I've noticed in other contexts.
  • You could try submitting debug for an attempt to update, maybe that'll help:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output

If you need to update, just re-installing does the same thing, btw., your data is stored somewhere else and so wouldn't be affected by that.
  • This seems to be fixed. I received a message that it couldn't update because my user account did not have write permissions. I changed the permissions as suggested, then the update was installed just fine. So adding this message solves the problem.
  • I am having the same problem that smwilson was having. I ran the debugging and got this ID: D579109361. I am running zotero on the latest Mac operating system and when I try to update zotero I just get a box saying "connecting to Zotero server..." and nothing happens.
  • try reinstalling Zotero from zotero.org/download