Option to map location of database

I don't know if this would be easy to do, but one of my gripes with Firefox generally is that you have to do some non-trivial shennanigans to persuade Firefox to save your data in the directory of your choosing rather than in the default directory selected by the installer.

When I become Emperor of the World, all apps will be required to set the system's main documents directory or a subdirectory of it as the default location for data and provide easy remapping of the desired directory.

Before my assumption of the throne, might we get the easy remapping feature in Zotero settings? I really put way too much work into enabling full data backups by selecting a single directory and its subdirectories.

Thanks,

Marbux
  • This is planned for a future version.

In the meantime, Firefox does, of course, save its profiles in the standard OS-specific location for application data, which seems pretty reasonable to me—I personally wouldn't want to pollute my documents folders with internal, non-openable data for dozens of apps, and a standard backup routine would just back up the entire home directory anyway (perhaps excluding some cache directories). But, I'm sure you have your reasons, and this will be supported eventually.