Changed storage location - new references storing to old location

I have had to change the location of my zotero storage (under tools/preferences/advanced/filesandfolders/custom etc). This has worked fine and I can see my references when opening zotero.

However, when I save a new reference (by using translators on a website), it is saving to the old location.

Please help. Should I have changed another setting? I can't see one, and I can't see anything about it on the forums/help.

Thanks
  • what's your set-up? Are you using Zotero Standalone with Firefox? In that case, you will also need to change the storage location of Zotero for Firefox to the exact same, new location.

Close down Standalone to access Zotero for Firefox and its preferences.
  • When I copied the files from the original location, I got the message,
    Item not found
    This is no longer located in C:[details of directory]. Verify the item's location and try again.
    zotero.sqlite-journal
    options to try again, but comes up repeatedly even though I can see the file in the original location. I also have a file named zotero.sqlite.damaged in the new location.

There is clearly something wrong with the file transfer. What can I do to make sure I have the correct files in the new location? Can I reinstall zotero without losing all my references?
  • Just seen your message ....Yes I am using both standalone and firefox so will do as you suggest ...
  • I have pointed to the new directory in both standalone and firefox now, but this has resulted in only being able to see the references I have just added (and which are saved in the OLD LOCATION !!!

I think this must have something to do with a file / files not having transferred across properly, so it is saving to the old location even though it shows as pointing to the new one?

Help!
  • Restart both Zotero versions and try again. If Zotero is actually pointed to the new data directory, you'd either see all of your data (if things worked correctly) or an entirely empty library (if things went wrong).

Also, turn off auto-sync while you're doing all this, since syncing will make this much harder to troubleshoot. Finally remember that you should only move actual files while Zotero and Firefox are shut down (I suspect that's the root of the sqlite-journal error you have above).
  • OK. When I change the directory in zotero for firefox, it changes, tells me I have to restart for changes to take effect, but when I go back in, the location has reverted to the old storage location.

Since I changed the firefox version, I am also seeing the old storage in zotero standalone, even though it is pointing to the new directory.
  • PS Have tried to change it multiple times in firefox, but reverts every time.
  • PPS Autosync has been off all the time.
  • And yes, I think that moving whilst not fully closed down may have been the problem. Is there anything I can do to untangle the mess?
  • First, make backups of _all_ of your data directories - old and new.

Were you syncing before all of this started? Is your online library up to date?
  • Backups done. I also have a backup from a week ago to which I could revert and which presumably would not have corrupted files. (I don't use the sync function because it doesn't work with my institutional network settings.)

If I revert to the 1-week-old backup version, and point to this, can I copy and paste from the more recent storage files of recent directories in order to capture new references added during the week?
  • Typically, I would say sync both the new and the old libraries with one account to merge the databases, but if syncing is not an option, you will have to export your new references as Zotero RDF (via right-click -> Export) and then import them into the recovered database. Note that this should transfer all of your metadata and file attachments, _but_ if you have inserted these references into a Word/LibreOffice document, the link between the references in the document and the references in your library will be broken. You would then have to re-insert the imported references into your document.
  • When you say import into the "recovered database", do you mean starting afresh by removing zotero and reinstalling??

Or can I just use the 1-week-back up version and import extra references into this? Presumably in order to export, I would need to point to the corrupted versions initially and then change the directory and then import?

Any thoughts on how to solve problems changing the directory I am pointing to (as above)? Keeps reverting in firefox, and has affected standalone even though it is pointing to the right place in standalone. Completely confused by this - any ideas?
  • Or can I just use the 1-week-back up version and import extra references into this? Presumably in order to export, I would need to point to the corrupted versions initially and then change the directory and then import?
    This. No need to uninstall/reinstall.
    Any thoughts on how to solve problems changing the directory I am pointing to (as above)? Keeps reverting in firefox, and has affected standalone even though it is pointing to the right place in standalone. Completely confused by this - any ideas?
    For one, stick to Zotero Standalone for all of this. Close Firefox completely. What are the paths to your two data directories? Are there any special characters involved (e.g. accented letters)?
  • OK I have now managed to get zotero standalone and zotero firefox to point to the 1-week-backup version, so this is progress.

I have also exported a few references which were created into the "old" directory (see above) which I can import.

However, what is strange is that zotero will not let me point to the "new" directory (I point and it reverts when reopened - even though it originally let me do this!) so I can not export via zotero RDF any of the references added last week. I think I will have to live with this .... but it is very strange particularly as I have deleted the "old" directory now but it is still pulling up the few references from that directory! I have also checked that the "new" directory has the full set of references from last week and before, so it remains a mystery as to why it will not access them. Presume this is something with the corruption, which is beyond my level of expertise.
  • Thanks for helping. Obviously, there was something strange going on but I have resolved for my purposes by manually reentering references. And will know to close down everything before copying directories next time.