editing CMS

Hi,
I'm using CMS (full note, no ibid) for my thesis and am struggling to edit the csl code so that the output looks like I want.
For primary documents I have used the item type "documents". I have now understood that this is a bad start to begin with, and have decided that it is probably necessary that I start off changing all of them (many hundred) to "manuscript".
When that is done, I understand that the edititing of the code is supposedly supereasy, but I am very challenged in the coding Department, and am afraid I need more of a step-by-step explanation.

What I want is for manuscripts (and reports) to not come out in the References with quotes around the title. I don't want this the first time, and I don't want it at subsequent times either. I know it involves changing "quotes" from "true" to "false" (?), but I don't get where precisely in the code I should be working.

Secondly, I want to edit CMStyle from always giving short titles. Specifically, I want only want books, journal articles or Chapters to be always listed with full title, all others to always come with full title.

Can anyone please help me with how to proceed?

I have looked at the step-by-step editing list, but I am unable to figure out where in the code I should make edits to these things, and what exactly to type in.

All the best,
Marte
  • I want only want books, journal articles or Chapters to be always listed with full title, all others to always come with full title.
    I think there must be a typo in there.
  • @fbennett thank you! So sorry, of course there is a typo.

I only want books, journal articles and book chapters to be referred to With SHORT titles (after the first time), and I want all others to always have full title. Now short title is default for all item types. In other Words, I want to change this so that "manuscript", "reports", "newspaper" articles" always appear with full info.
  • edited October 20, 2014
    Unfortunately, that's not going to be supereasy.

The general idea would be to change the section that's marked with <if position="subsequent"> and then add a
    <choose>
    <if type="book chapter article-journal" match="any">
    [what's currently in the subsequent section]
    </if>
    <else>
    [copy of everything that's now in the else section]
    </else>
    </choose>

doing that with the visual editor will be very tedious, so you'll likely better of trying to edit the CSL directly. See if that's doable for you--we can provide guidance if you run into specific problems, but unfortunately we can't walk you through the process step by step, that simply takes too long.
  • OK. thanks for that, I'll try and am sure be back for more help. do you mean editing the source-code as listed in the style depository, or something else?

And also, what about the quotation marks that I want to remove? Is there a way to help me explain where in the code I can make this edit?
  • quotation marks are set by using quotes="true" just deleting that will work.

And while I do mean the style code as listed in the style depository, the easiest way to work with that is the Zotero CSL test pane that's described on the step-by-step page that I had assumed you had seen, but that may actually not be the case, so here it is:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step
  • aha, that's what I thought. I promise you that I have tried my way via the step-by-step route - posting a question in this forum is by no means my first alternative. I thought the visual editor was the same as the CSL test pane, that why I asked. It is a foreign language all together.

I'll give it another go with the test pane then.
  • I think I have figured out the quotes now, but only in first position. In subsequent position they stay with qoutes - and I don't know how to alter that.

As for only applying short title on books, chapter,and journal articles i did this: (which did not work: error parsing style)
    </macro>
    <citation et-al-min="4" et-al-use-first="1" disambiguate-add-names="true">
    <layout suffix="." delimiter="; ">
    <choose>
    <if position="subsequent">
    <choose>
    <if type="book chapter article-journal article-newspaper" match="any">
    </else>
    <if type="manuscript report">
    </else>
    </choose>
    <group delimiter=", ">
    <text macro="contributors-short"/>
    <group delimiter=" ">
    <group delimiter=", ">
    <text macro="title-short"/>
    <!--if title & author are the same: -->
    <text macro="date-disambiguate"/>
    <text macro="case-locator-subsequent"/>
    </group>

Are you able to see from this what it is I am doing wrong?
  • not entirely (though likely you'll need to look in the title-short macro), but this isn't how if/else works. you want:

<choose>
    <if type="book chapter article-journal article-newspaper" match="any">
    </if>
    <else-if type="manuscript report">
    </else-if>
    <else>
    </else>
    </choose>

and note that this would actually mean printing empty citations on subsequent for all those item types, which I assume you don't want. The content of those citations should go in between the <if> <else-if> and <else> tags.
  • so, would it be easier to just let all categoriesas they are (subsequent=short title)- but find a way to make all (subsequent) "manuscript" references full title? (then I can fix the rest manually)

Would that be a better way?
  • do you just want the full title or the full reference for subsequent manuscripts?
  • oh, sorry, that was vague. I need the full reference, please. Exactly as it is listed the first time. (preferably also without quotes, but that looks to be very complicated..)
  • For Example:
    Brinson to FO, February 15, 1950, FO 371/82560, PRO.
    Now I have, for subsequent manuscripts:
    “Brinson to FO,” February 15, 1950

I would like the no 1 example for all times this is refered to.
  • yeah, the easiest way is to do what I suggest in my first post: copy everything that's now under "else" over to the if type="manuscript" in subsequent.
  • Sorry Adam, to be so slow here, but I find this really confusing.
    You want me to be in the <macro name="title-short",
    or futher down, under the
    <if position="subsequent">?

or do you mean to create a <if position="subsequent"> under <macro name="title-short"?
  • neither.
    forget the macro short-title. That was the answer to a very specific question about removing quotation marks.

Look at the citation section. Right now the structure is

choose
    if ibid with locator
    else-if ibid
    else-if subsequent
    else
    choose

so, e.g. everything between
    <else-if position="subsequent">
    and the corresponding
    </else-if>
    is what the style does when the position of a citation is subsequent.

What you want to do now is to change that behavior for manuscripts. So within that subsequent section you distinguish between manuscripts and everything else.

With that in mind, re-read my first post and see if it makes sense. If not, try to restate what I'm saying in your own words to see where you go wrong.

(as a word of warning, I unfortunately won't have a ton more time to help you with this. As I say, I can help if you have specific questions about code that's not working, but I can't give you an introduction to CSL)