How to clean "My library"

Is there a possibility to delete all entries in "My library" that are not used in any collection?

In my Zotero library, I have several collections. If I, for example, delete a collection, its entries are still in "My library" and are not deleted.
Because I did something like that several times before, I sometimes have five times the same entry in "My library", although it is not used in any collection or only used in one collection.
How can I "clean" My library?

thank you for your help
Aldi
  • It's in the works:
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/665/
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/3240/duplicate-entry-warning

Until then, you need to sort your entries (probably by title) and delete them manually.
  • If you don't have many collections, you can create a saved search with multiple "Collection" "is not" conditions and then delete the items that show up.

Deleting a collection, as you saw, does not delete the items. This is by design. To delete all items from a collection, select all the items, right-click on them, and select Delete Selected Items from Library.

However, copying an item to a collection doesn't actually duplicate it, so the only way you would have multiple copies of the same item in My Library would be if you imported that item multiple times.
  • Dan,
    thank you very much! This was exactly what I was looking for!
    However, I encountered some problems doing, what you have proposed. Zotero crashed several times with the message: An error has occurred. Please restart Firefox.
    The Report IDs are: 992497497, 497464540, 211505208, 1650121057, 410806892, 1077187178.

In the end, I could manage to delete the items step-by-step. However, one single duplicate was not deletable at all. It is this entry that causes the error.

Thank you
    Aldi
  • Please try running your database through the DB Repair Tool.
  • Dan,

thank you. After repairing the database with the repair tool, I could delete the last remaining duplicate. Everything is fine now!

Kind regrards
    Aldi