How to preserve links to files after export / import of library?

In a workgroup, we have a quite large Zotero database (over 1100 entries), which is maintained by one team member. Most of the entries are linked to PDF files on our file server (about 3GB total).
As we are five people in the team, we would like to export the Zotero database and import it on the other computers preserving the links to the files on the file server. However, always Zotero produces copies of all files, not just linking to them (what we actually want), after export/import.

Also, copying the "Zotero" data folder to the other computers is not a solution as the single team members maintain their own private Zotero collection (of a few hundred entries linking to their files on the file server). They just would like to import the most recent version of the common large Zotero database to their computers.

How can we solve this problem? Is there a possibility to export/import Zotero libaries preserving the links to the files?

Thank you very much!
Aldi
  • I have a similar problem. It is a Zotero database integration problem like the one above. I have a primary version of Zotero (1.0.7 attached to Firefox portable) on a USB stick which I have just successfully transferred to an external drive. (The database is reattached to that version and everything works) However, on the occasions when I have left the USB key at home I have added to a Zotero version which is on my desktop. Since this has built up quite a lot of entries not in my main version, I now want to import it into my main relocated version.
    I have successfully exported to a folder on the external drive, although it has created an RDF file and a separate folder called "files" but trying to import has failed twice. I have only tried to import the RDF since I cannot see how to import the "files" folder.
    When I try I get an error message which is basically 'try again" and the error log reads,
    [JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520014 (NS_ERROR_FILE_DIR_NOT_EMPTY) [nsIFile.copyTo]" nsresult: "0x80520014 (NS_ERROR_FILE_DIR_NOT_EMPTY)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/attachments.js :: importSnapshotFromFile :: line 137" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/translate.js" line: 899}]
    Any ideas on how to fix?
    Thanks
    Julia
  • Julia: This doesn't really have anything to do with cretin's request, but your error will be fixed in 1.0.8, which we're hoping to get out this week. If you have additional questions, please post to a new thread.