pdftotext 3.02
pdfinfo 3.02
OSX 10.9.5

My index stats are:
Indexed: 519
Partial: 72
Unindexed: 653
Words: 157857

I did have indexing settings set to default, and have tried it numerous times, but it instantly goes to the beach ball, and under activity monitor - Zotero not responding.

So: I set the characters to index per file to 1000 and pages to 10 with the same result.

Now, in fairness, the number of indexed has increased over this time, (ie: tonight as I've sat here trying things for the last hour, but maybe 30 or 40 files, I've didn't take note at the beginning) but I'm thinking 5 minutes or so would be plenty to index all that with the smaller settings? And it shouldn't be freezing (beachball and not responding) as it does so. Am I mistaken?

I will leave it on overnight, maybe with default settings again, but my computer has had hundreds of hours of idle time with zotero running to index files over the last few months. Should I try to rebuild the index from scratch?

Many thanks.
Damian
  • Update your Zotero to 4.0.23, though that probably won't make any differnce.
    it instantly goes to the beach ball, and under activity monitor - Zotero not responding
    That's not exactly crashing. It just means Zotero is busy doing something, but you're right that it shouldn't be taking that long. Can you submit a real-time debug log for a couple minutes of indexing? Please email it to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread.
  • Hi Aurimas,

Thanks for the reply. I think I misunderstood of few concepts here. I left it on overnight (with settings back to default), and the ball did indeed stop rolling, and so eventually zotero responded. I then cleared the index and started again, this time with the settings at 120 pages - it took somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes while I was working on other things. (I also updated and rebooted)

It now sits at:
    Indexed: 904
    Partial: 71
    Unindexed: 269
    Words: 199853

And so I realise that the partial is due to the limitations of the page numbers or numbers of words, in other words I have 71 book pdfs stored that are over 120 pages - I thought it just hadn't finished indexing them for some reason. And the unindexed is probably due to the file or entry type - ie: a CD entry, or word file.

Whatever the cause of the 'freezing' (which wasn't actually freezing as you pointed out), it now responds instantly when I 'index unindexed items' (because it's done all it can).

Thanks for your time.

Damian