update corrupts document

I've been working on a document across a couple of different computers. When I updated each of them to the current version of Zotero, it corrupted my LibreOffice document. The inscrutable Java error message offers no clue as to where the corruption is located. So I have to go through the laborious process of debugging it. This is the 2nd time I've had to do this with the same document, even though I was careful to close out of the document, close LibreOffice and even reinstall the plugin when I updated.

FWIW, I'm using a Mac with the newest version of OSX (10.9.5) the current version of LibreOffice and (now) the newest version of Zotero (4.0.23). Here is the inscrutable error message:

Zotero experienced an error updating your document.

An error occurred communicating with Zotero:
com.sun.star.uno.RuntimeException: End of content node doesn't have the proper start node
at com.sun.star.bridges.jni_uno.JNI_proxy.dispatch_call(Native Method)
at com.sun.star.bridges.jni_uno.JNI_proxy.invoke(JNI_proxy.java:183)
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy19.createTextCursorByRange(Unknown Source)
at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.ReferenceMark.setText(ReferenceMark.java:157)
at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.CommMessage.execute(CommMessage.java:127)
at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.CommMessage.getBytes(CommMessage.java:40)
at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.CommServer.run(CommServer.java:60)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:695)
'An error occurred communicating with Zotero:
com.sun.star.uno.RuntimeException: End of content node doesn't have the proper start node
at com.sun.star.bridges.jni_uno.JNI_proxy.dispatch_call(Native Method)
at com.sun.star.bridges.jni_uno.JNI_proxy.invoke(JNI_proxy.java:183)
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy19.createTextCursorByRange(Unknown Source)
at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.ReferenceMark.setText(ReferenceMark.java:157)
at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.CommMessage.execute(CommMessage.java:127)
at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.CommMessage.getBytes(CommMessage.java:40)
at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.CommServer.run(CommServer.java:60)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:695)
' when calling method: [zoteroIntegrationField::setText]
  • when you say "updated to the current version of Zotero" that's from 4.0.22?
  • and since you did the debugging, were you able to narrow it down? That would help a lot, of course.
  • I spent an hour or so and gave up. I could get it narrowed down to a part of the paper but not to a specific reference. I finally was able to cut and paste to a new empty document without it crashing on me when I tried to insert a record.

I'm happy to send you the problematic paper in *.odt format if you'd like.

I'm storing references in the paper. Is that a possible problem?

Michael
  • It's not going to be the references stored in the paper, no.

Yes, please send a copy to support@zot..o.org if you don't mind with a link to this thread.

And could you confirm--you just updated from 4.0.22 to 4.0.23, correct?

And at what point exactly are you getting that error message? (i.e. what triggered it): Opening the document? Trying to insert a citation?
  • Haven't had a chance to investigate this yet, but we did get the document you emailed. I'll just post the message in the email here, since it answers adamsmith's questions above:
    I did upgrade to 4.0.23 on all computers. I THINK I upgraded from 4.0.22 (if not that version than another almost as recent one, but I know I upgraded from 4.0.22 on 2 of the 3 machines I work on).

I get the error when I go to add a new citation and sometimes when I refresh.
    Will get back to you on the rest
  • The same thing is happening to me. Working on a document across multiple machines with latest version of Zotero (4.0.23) and Libreoffice causes the same error when a new citation is inserted. Copying and pasting all the text into a new Libreoffice document "fixes" the issue. I'm on Xubuntu 14.04. I'd been working on that document for at least two years, over sequential updates of Zotero and Libreoffice, if that matters.