Group library to personal library

I have read the documentation and forum posts on group libraries and syncing. This is my first experience with the group library function, and one thing is still not clear: I understand that I need to drag items from the group library to my personal library if I wish to update my personal library with changes made in the group library.

My question is, is there a way to "sync" my personal library with my group library--to automatically detect changes and update files, that is, or do I need to manually go in and find all of the updated files and drag them to my personal library? Alternately, can I select the entire group library and drag it into my personal library of the same name? Will it then overwrite/update the files that are the same, or will I have a bunch of duplicate files?

Thanks for any clarification you can provide.
  • currently the answer to both of these is no, but at least the "alternatively" part is planned and should hopefully happen in the not too distant future.
  • Thanks for your speedy reply on this. So I will, then, need to identify any of the altered files in the group library and drag them into my personal library. Will these individual files be added as duplicates, or will I have the option to replace existing files? I'm sure I'll find out as I get started, but I'd like to have an idea of what kind of function to expect.

With thanks.
  • edited October 15, 2014
    actually, right now it's a bit odd: Zotero knows they're duplicate, so won't let you copy them. You will first need to delete them in your personal library, empty the trash, then drag them over.

Again, everyone agrees this isn't satisfactory as a workflow and improvements are planned.